Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

email problems

I am being told by various sensdesr that emials to me are bouncing.  One (a list I subscribe to and have done for years) says:

You have been automatically removed from the BIOTUTOR-L list (Biology Tutors Discussion List) as a result of repeated delivery error reports from your mail system. This decision was based on the list's automatic error monitoring policy and has not been reviewed or otherwise confirmed by a person. If you receive this message, then it means that something is wrong. While you are obviously able to receive mail, your mail system has been regularly reporting that your account did not exist, or that you were otherwise permanently unable to receive mail. Here is some information that may assist you or your local help desk in determining the cause of the problem:

- The failing address is *************

- The first error was reported on 2020-10-28.

- Since then, a total of 2 delivery errors have been received.

- The last reported error was: 5.2.0 554 5.2.0 MXIN602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=bM12ktd6acagfbM13kCdKA;sid=bM12ktd6acagf;mta=mx2.tb;dt=2020-11-07T12:04:17+01:00;ipsrc=52.156.253.34;

Please do not ignore this message. While you can re-subscribe to the list, it is important for you to report this problem to your mail administrator so that it can be solved. This problem is not specific to the BIOTUTOR-L list and may also affect your private mail. This means that you may have lost some private mail as well. Anyone trying to write to you during the same time frame might have received the same errors for the same reason.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: email problems

Some immediate help. Thank you making the task of spammers and scammers easier by posting your full e-mail address on a public forum. That's one new address they won't have to pay for. I have asked the Mods to edit, but you still have time to do it - via the Post Options drop down. You have also broken a strict forum rule designed to protect your personal privacy which you seem so careless about.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think we can set about looking at the substance of this. The problem is most likely caused by an incorrectly configured sending e-mail server which the VM receiving servers think is sending spam or spammy mail.  So many things could be wrong with the sending server. I think we shall have to the VM Forum Team here to take a look at this and get the backroom people to see what is going on.  Wait for them to reach this thread and offer you further advice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK Thanks for that.  It is odd as I have received email from this list server for many years.  Anyhow I will wait.  I know of only one other person that tried to contact me and they said it just kept bouncing.  When I got them to send it my gmail address it went in to spam.

It is an eye opener for me to know that my email address is regarded as my part of my "personal privacy".  What a world!  But, note taken and I have edited as suggested, tnanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It is part of your personal privacy because spammers and other malicious actors get the addresses from searching Forums like this.

It is interesting that the same mail sent to your G Mail address goes to spam. That points strongly to serious configuration errors at their end as ISPs tighten considerably their defences against spam.

0 Kudos