Menu
TheBoyGreen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

email problems with Outlook 2016

I am having trouble sending and receiving emails from Outlook 2016, from both a blueyonder and virgin media email accounts.

Emails are getting stuck in the outbox and i have even had issue with webmail today.

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: email problems with Outlook 2016

Edit: Jump to #3 below

If you have webmail problems then you may have a bigger email issue but for Outlook 2016 ...

Have a look at which add-ins you have running. Lots are usually running by default. Most you do not need to have switched on unless you have a specific requirement to use them.

File>>Options>>Add-ins

I have a dim recollection that one of them (maybe Exchange add-in or Social Connector add-in) may have caused a similar issue for me in the past on Outlook 2016.

Note down a list of what you have running to start with, then experiment by turning off one at a time to see if it improves anything for you. If that doesn't help you can always go back to your initial setup.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have now seen this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Issue-Sending-Email-and-Accessing-Webmail-RESOLVED/td-p/4...

which seems more likely to be your issue if affecting Outlook and webmail

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@goslow wrote:

Have now seen this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Issue-Sending-Email-and-Accessing-Webmail-RESOLVED/td-p/4...

which seems more likely to be your issue if affecting Outlook and webmail

Most unlikely as that issue was resolved yesterday as the post you linked to clearly states.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@TheBoyGreen wrote:

I am having trouble sending and receiving emails from Outlook 2016, from both a blueyonder and virgin media email accounts.

Emails are getting stuck in the outbox and i have even had issue with webmail today.

Any ideas please?

What error messages are you getting via webmail?  This needs to be established before looking at the Outlook 2016 issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
TheBoyGreen
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but the issue remains 😏

0 Kudos
TheBoyGreen
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The error is to do with smtp passwords yet nothing as changed because one minute or was working, the next not 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@TheBoyGreen wrote:

The error is to do with smtp passwords yet nothing as changed because one minute or was working, the next not 

What is the error message in webmail when signed in with the specific email address concerned?

Is it perchance a 'mailbox unavailable try later' or similar?

0 Kudos
TheBoyGreen
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and i am trying to stick to one thread, apologies.

The issue really is outlook tbh. The query is user name and pasword for smtp. Webmail seems to be ok. 

Theses havent changed because it was working and then not.

No worries if you don't know

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, if webmail is working then concentrate on the Outlook issue.  Can you try and set up Outlook logging to try and identify the specific VMxxx error code.

Follow the instructions here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

0 Kudos