Menu
aileeng1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

email password not asked for

For the past few days I have not been asked to sign in and use a password to access my emails. Is this no longer required and how secure is this service now? I am a virginmedia.com account holder.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: email password not asked for

Hello

If you are signing into webmail via a browser then it is using the stored username / password that the browser has stored.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

aileeng1
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. Do you know if this was a planned "upgrade" as there seems to have been all sorts of problems with the various emails addresses lately? In view of  the fact that there has been known security issues as well I am looking for reassurance as to security as a friend recently had her email hacked (not virgin though) and it has caused her all sorts of problems.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, there was a planned upgrade a couple of weeks ago in which the sign in system to My Virgin Media and VM webmail changed.  You will now remain signed in on your device until you actually sign out.  This is not down to browsers saving the details but to way the new sign in system has been set up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS if the browser's webmail session is active then it does sign out as configured under , Settings, Basic Settings, Automatic sign out.

2020-06-21.jpeg
FYI: the automatic sign out countdown start is from 20 seconds.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped