cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email not working on outlook

Viking122
On our wavelength
Hello
I have been trying to setup my email in outlook on my PC ( new winows install ), but it keeps on failing. I have tried other email clients with same problem. Strange this is that it works ok on my mobile.

I read somewhere that you have to change email address on my account to solve my email problems with apps like outlook. I tried that also but everytime I send to get a verification link it takes forever to get a reply back, and by the time I open that email it has expired.

Another thing...when you try to contact VM on whatsapp you only get a responce from a stupid bot!!!!!!!!

Hope someone can get a fix for this. Ever since VM had their last maintenance on the email system it has gone belly up......
Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Viking122, 

Thanks for taking the time to post on our Community

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with setting up your mail on Outlook. If you want to access your Virgin Media emails from Outlook, you’ll need to create a separate app password through Account settings on My Virgin Media.

To get the password, follow these steps:

• Sign in to My Virgin Media
  • a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
  • b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
  • c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

A new secure password will be generated for you. Your app password can be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new app password, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.
We need to give you a separate app password to help make things more secure as IMAP and POP don’t support extra protection steps, like Multi Factor Authentication.

Remember that this password is separate from your sign in details for My Virgin Media (or any Virgin Media apps). So, if you need to check your Virgin Media Mail emails through My Virgin Media or at mail.virginmedia.com, you'll still use your My Virgin Media password.

Give this a try and let us know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

beejeh
On our wavelength

I've been through the process of generating an app password to use with outlook on android, but I keep getting a login failure when using it.

webbo73
Joining in

Same here - ntlworld mail stopped working today.  Unable to access via mail.virginmedia.com.  Getting "Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable".  I started following the steps mentioned to change my email to a non virgin one and but I'm stuck in limbo as the accounts page hasn't yet updated with my new email address and consequently I can't reset the password.  Given that a few people are reporting ntlworld issues today, makes me think something has gone wrong centrally...

beejeh
On our wavelength

My account is actually ntlworld email as well, been having problems for getting on 2 weeks.

seem to have got back in to mine now - was eventually able to sign in again once I'd reset the password and set a new app password.  Never had this issue with virign mail for 20 years but atleast I'm in and hopefully not been hacked!

beejeh
On our wavelength

No joy here, still not working.

We're sorry to hear you're still having that issue beejeh.

I am happy to take a look into this. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin

beejeh
On our wavelength

Thanks Martin,

As I said in reply to your pm:-

My problem is now resolved, the app password did not work until I deleted the account from Outlook on Android or Mail on IOS and added it back using the app password I generated.

Simply trying to update the password as I was doing before was unsuccessful. This did work for the mail app on MacOS though.

Thanks for the update beejeh.

Great to hear the email is now working.

Gareth_L