cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email not sending NTLworld

jgallag
Joining in

Emails will not send both on pc and macbook.

Keeps prompting for user name and password on the PC.

11 REPLIES 11

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jgallag Do you get any error message when trying to access the email account via VM webmail?  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI jgallag, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the email, can you  confirm if you are still having issues with this? Can you clear the cache and cookies and update the password to see if anything changes? 

Chris. 

Had to untick my outgoing email server needs authorisation.

emails send.

If reset to needs authorisation will not send and keeps promting for user name and password.

Similar issue before that eventually resolved itself

jgallag_0-1668199487941.png

@jgallag wrote:

Had to untick my outgoing email server needs authorisation.

emails send.

If reset to needs authorisation will not send and keeps promting for user name and password.

I suspect I know what this, could you try taking the MacBook somewhere else, not on your home wifi system (or any other VM WiFi), does it not send emails suddenly but does if you re-enable authentication?

Spoiler

No it won't. They have misconfigured the new SSL certificate on their outbound SMTP server.

They broke the outbound authentication Wednesday morning around 10am.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Celare wrote:
Spoiler

No it won't. They have misconfigured the new SSL certificate on their outbound SMTP server.

They broke the outbound authentication Wednesday morning around 10am.

That issue, which only affected the Gmail app was resolved earlier this evening and has no relevance to the issue posted by the op of this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Caph
On our wavelength

Yes it is fixed. And yes, it would have affected the op because outgoing emails trying to authenticate against smtp.virginmedia.com via an email client, unlike a browser, will not attempt to download any missing intermediate certificates, they expect all relevant certificates to be provided to them by the server they are communicating with.

The reason he could send with authentication turned off is because smtp.virginmedia.com allows email relay from its own internal IP range. Thus, turning off authentication and sending from inside Virgin's IP range works, but turning on authentication or sending from outside Virgin's internal IP range (which requires authentication) would not work.

Hi

Simply question has Virgin media resolved the issue they created?

And is this a repetitive thing/ mistake by them , as had similar in the past that eventually was sorted, without me doing anything.

I do not want to change my settngs in case this creates an additional issue.

Plus why no word or admission from VM that there is a problem?

Service tests say all is fine, in reality they are not for email.