cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email no secondary email access main acc email only

jmildon
Tuning in

I can get my email as the account holder but my wife cannot get hers at all when she loads windows mail there is nothing cannot see any historic emails or send or receive we really need her emails as we have a disabled daughter and all the medical related emails are on her account . Did the whatsapp chat waited hours  for a sarcastic idiot who did a cut and paste bog standard message vm are doing all they can and then proceeded to ask me if I was happy with the service I had received we have tried everything inc using webmail/ apple iphone/ ipad but nothing works been a customer for over 25 years great service when you need it most (not)

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jmildon wrote:

my wife cannot get hers at all when she loads windows mail there is nothing cannot see any historic emails or send or receive we really need her emails

To be honest, I suspect that like lots of other people on here what you are finding is that your VM settings in Mail now need updating to reflect a change that VM introduced a few weeks ago.

Now when you reset a VM email password you have to generate an "app specific" password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email account via any third party email apps or clients such as MS Mail.

I suspect that the recent VM email debacle has triggered the need for you to generate an app specific password to use in Mail  instead of the usual password you use to access your VM webmail account.

To do that sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/    using the VM email address of this secondary account and its existing password.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email account.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab.

Then scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate a mail app password which will be in the format:   video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field of that email account in MS Mail's settings.

You can still use the original password to access that email account via VM's Webmail service.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Not sure about this... I am confused,,,I have a similar problem in that one of my secondary accounts has lost access to emails and folders before 19th June. (I can send and receive OK).

The automated message on virgin when you dial in on 150 says that there is an issue with historical data and they are working to resolve the issue. Also got an email from VM saying sorry for the loss of service; not to worry and they are working to resolve it and recover the folders and emails.

The way I read your message seems to indicate that the problem can be resolved by changing the password. Is that right or sorry if I am not understanding it correctly.

Thanks

Tony_

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tony_ wrote:

The way I read your message seems to indicate that the problem can be resolved by changing the password. Is that right or sorry if I am not understanding it correctly.

Sorry for any confusion. That's definitely not what I am saying.

The thing is that many people are reporting that their emails have been recovered by VM but they now cannot access them via their email apps.

@jmildon's wife cannot send or receive emails  using their Windows (MS) Mail app and that suggests there is a problem with the email settings in their MS Mail app.

In that case, generating a mail app password and using that in the email app often allows you to send and receive emails once again when using the app. It may also allow MS Mail to download any emails that VM have since restored but are currently not being download by MS Mail because the existing password is not being accepted by the VM server,

You say "I can send and receive OK" .:

1. That's good, but if you know that some or all of your emails are still missing from your VM email account then you will have to wait for VM to restore them.
  2. If you are sending and receiving these emails using the VM webmail service on the VM website then the advice about the mail app password does not apply in any circumstances. It only applies to third party email apps,

I hope that clarifies things.

Coeno

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Ok...thanks

thanks i'll give it a go 

jmildon
Tuning in

tried the app password regeneration and it makes no difference still unable to access mail server even tried adding it to a gmail acc but it just says server denied pop3 access for the user name and password

jmildon
Tuning in

also says server retruned authentication failed what are we supposed to do

Hi @jmildon thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the issues still impacting access to some email addresses, etc. I would like to take a closer look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jmildon wrote:

tried the app password regeneration and it makes no difference still unable to access mail server

Sounds like there may be an underlying  problem with the account itself.

Can your wife access her email account via the VM Webmail service on the VM website?

Try accessing the problem email account via the VM Webmail service using this link https://mail.virginmedia.com 

Does that access the account or if not, what error message does it give?

Coenoby