Menu
ScottD1875
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

email hacked

Hi, I was a virgin media customer with an old blueyonder email address. I left virgin media a few years ago now, but the email has remained operational.

I stated to get various accounts such as Instagram, eBay etc hacked. It is clear from the issues experienced that the old email has become compromised.

I tried calling virgin a couple of weeks ago to try to reset the password for the email but was told they could not help as email account would have been closed off 90 days after I left as a customer.

I therefore set up a new email address and updated all online accounts to the new address. 

I noticed today that I can no longer access the old email and I am getting a message to say username or password for the blueyonder email is incorrect.

Following the guidance on this forum, I have checked the email on mail tester which advises ‘this email does not exist on this server’.

In short, I am trying to establish if the old email has now been closed off by Virgin Media (which I would be ok with as it would prevent any further hacking issues) or whether the inability to now access the old email is potentially down to further hacking activity. 

Any advice on how to get an answer to this would be very welcome. I did try phoning Virgin tonight, but had no joy as was advised systems were down.

Thanks, from an Ex VM customer, who is sick of hackers 🤯

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: email hacked

@ScottD1875 wrote:

Following the guidance on this forum, I have checked the email on mail tester which advises ‘this email does not exist on this server’.

That message is saying the address no longer exists and the most likely reason is that VM have completed the deletion process.

You could confirm that by sending an email from your new email account to your old blueyonder address.

You should get a "mail delivery failed" message bounced back to your new email account. The text of the error message should say the reason was "User unknown". At the very least that will tell you hackers can no longer take advantage of the account.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
ScottD1875
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: email hacked

Thanks for response 👍

0 Kudos