Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

email account locked

One of my accounts has been locked for over a week. Yesterday I had a phone call from Virgin asking if I was interested in upgrading! I asked about my email account and she said it was another dept. "Can you put me through to that dept," I asked. "No, phone 150" Very useful. I am now seriously considering dumping Virgin and I have been a customer for over twenty years.

"If there is abnormal usage detected from your email account, it will be temporarily locked. This is usually because of actions that affect large amounts of mail in a short time: receiving, deleting, or POP downloads of many messages. Lockouts are often the result of downloading the entire contents of your Virgin Media Mail account to a mail client or can be caused by unsupported third-party software accessing your account."

We'll restore access to your account within 24 hours.

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: email account locked

LOCKED ACCOUNT

Interesting reply from virgin, so they do have security that detects possible hacking or unusual activity.

I hope it is resolved, and you can then reset the password, security question, username etc to secure the account.

It could be linked to the recent virgin media  data breach of 5/3/2020?

The possible access by a mail client is possible as virgin do not use multi factor authorisation options such as text to mobile or voice mail etc.

I was once locked out and given similar reasons and changed user name login in the profile settings. (done by virgin)

Ensure a strong a password is used. I have posted recently on security issues myself.

Some concern if your email contacts were accessed, so you need to be back in control of the email address to prevent any fraud attempts, and ensure any linked account have not been compromised.

I now use other more secure email providers for  shopping, banking .

If pop mail used and email stored on your own computer that could be hacked, wise to do a virus/malware  scan. I stopped using pop and use imap option where  email remains on the virgin server till deleted. I was hacked when I used pop mail myself some years ago via an email client.

Although a nuisance at least virgin may have detected illegal access, so now important to get back control of the email.

I have posted recently on security issues.

The community  forum team are good and hope they help you if you do not get it resolved in 24 hours.

community member alf28

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's getting even more farcical now. Thought I would have another go. Select from options, more options, and even more options. Ah-ha, We will send you a text with a direct line, great, except when I rang it, it said we are not answering calls on this number. Then I landed on a page that let me send a message, the only problem is it can take up to 28 days to respond. Virgin has gone downhill since it morphed from NTL. I have been with Virgin/NTL for 22 years so I'm totally peeved. I will cancel my Direct Debit, someone might take notice then I'm contacting my MP to ask him to forward a motion that mega-corporations like Virgin have offices in the UK. If Samsung, Amazon, PayPal can do it, why not Virgin. Samsung is one of the most helpful and efficient companies out there.

If there is anybody in this forum that is actually employed by Virgin, I would look for a caring company to move to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi worldstream,

Thanks for posting, 

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to get the email issue sorted so far. I've sent you over a private message so I can help with this. (purple envelope in the top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks, all working now. I had 600 emails there and can now log in to Skype. You've salvaged a long standing customer for Virgin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for updating the Community worldstream, I will pass on your message to Alex 🙂 

Take care

Nat