Menu
eltel47
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

e mail not responding

I recently received e mail asking me to change password for my email account on my mac. 

this I did and received an email from virgin media confirming that the password has been successfully changed. However I am now getting messages on my blue yonder account that it can't log in and to enter password, when I enter new password it doesn't recognise it. Have been into system preferences to access account details there and entered new password but still will not connect or recognise password. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
eltel47
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: e mail not responding

update - just downloaded supplementary from apple which is to fix problems following recent major system upgrade which had resulted in problems with mail. So thought that would sort things out. Can now receive email but not send and system says outgoing mail is offline, any suggestions what I should do next ?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any doubts concerning the authenticity of the email that requested the password change?

In macOS open a terminal and type the following command but replace richard.branson@virginmedia.com  with your own email address and  then enter your password when prompted:

curl -v --url smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com --user richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Review the resulting output for authentication status messages, for example successful authentication:

⋮
< 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded
⋮

unsuccessful authentication:

⋮
< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
⋮

NB: if posting curl output beyond that shown in the above examples care must be taken to redact encoded strings that would otherwise reveal your email address and password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
eltel47
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nothing happened just took me to selection of web pages

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you open a terminal window into which to type the curl command?

FYI: on your Mac press + space bar and then the text terminal in the Spotlight search field. 

0 Kudos
eltel47
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No I didn't do that its beyond the limits of my tech knowledge, however for no obvious reason outgoing mail is now back on line and appears to be working fine, possibly something to do with latest iOS supplementary update. However will keep this conversation in case I need to come back to it.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 

I've worked out amended curl commands that will only reveal authentication success or VM lines

For Windows command line

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"

For Linux/MacOS command line

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password 2>&1 | grep "235\|VM"

@eltel47 - If you have any additional issues, try using the 2nd form.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks