cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail in outlook

pcbcox
Joining in

With e-mail now restored after the problems of the last few days I am unable to send or receive e-mails in Microsoft outlook. It is working on both IPads and both mobile phones.

On checking in outlook settings the password has changed to a to a sixteen digit password of unknown origin. When I try to change it just puts this spurious password back in.

Deleting the account and then reinstalling it using the correct password  it just puts the spurious password back in.

When tries to send and receive it comes up with an error message saying contact your provider

Has anyone else experienced this

Thanks 

P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pcbcox  In Outlook the password field is obsfuscated by dots.  The number of dots does not represent the number of characters in the password.

Access to VM Mail accounts via email clients such as Outlook now require use of a generated app password.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Once generated use the app password in the incoming and outgoing server settings for the email account concerned in Outlook.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pcbcox  In Outlook the password field is obsfuscated by dots.  The number of dots does not represent the number of characters in the password.

Access to VM Mail accounts via email clients such as Outlook now require use of a generated app password.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Once generated use the app password in the incoming and outgoing server settings for the email account concerned in Outlook.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham

Thanks for the information.

I will try this.

P

Worked a treat Graham

Many thanks

P

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Great news.  Please consider marking my previous reply as helpful as this will make it easier for others having the same issue to find.

Xantia2000
Tuning in

HI pcbcox, Yes I also had this problem after all the VM mail problems, I just had to reset my password in outllook and everything was back. Think this may have changed due to the reset boxes that came up in the first few days of VM mail problem.