cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e mail account password rejected.

iadom
Dialled in

On using her phone this morning my wife found a message informing her  Mail 'credentials needed'. She has had this ntlworld.com email address  for many years and her account details have never been accessed or altered since I set up her account. It is now asking for email account name and password but is rejecting what I am 100% certain are the correct details.

how can I rectify this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @iadom 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear that your wife is having issues access their email account at this time. 

Can you confirm, do you see this error message when using our web mail, when you are using a client such as gmail or outlook or when you're using a Mail app? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @iadom 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear that your wife is having issues access their email account at this time. 

Can you confirm, do you see this error message when using our web mail, when you are using a client such as gmail or outlook or when you're using a Mail app? 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

iadom
Dialled in

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. Thankfully I have managed to sort it. For some reason my wife’s email account had been locked. It was a bit of a faff but I eventually managed to change the password for her mail account.

Glad to hear that you've managed to resolve this @iadom 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Have a nice rest of your weekend 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

iadom
Dialled in

Adding to this thread as I now have a problem with my own email address. Without warning late last night my email password was rejected across all my devices and email apps. I was able to fix my wifes email problem by resetting her password I have tried to use the same method to access my email account settings and get to the 'Manage' option of the Mailbox App Password management. However my email address which is the primary email address is not showing. The only option that comes up is my wifes email address that I changed the password on a couple of months back. If I try to alter this email address it refuses to allow an ntlworld address. It now appears as though my wifes email address is logged as the primary address and mine has disappeared. Any suggestions ?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@iadom If you are seeing your wife's email address when getting to the Manage option then you are logged into your wife's My Virgin Media account.  You will need to sign out of that account and then sign back into your own My Virgin Media account with your email address and the relevant password.  You should be able to sign in as the lockout will only be on the email account.  Your should then be able to change the password.  However, at this stage you are likely to be prompted to change the username for your account to a third party email address so that VM can send a verification code to confirm the change.  This is part of the new Multi Factor authentication systems that VM have recently introduced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Good morning Graham, thanks for your reply.

I was using my PC earlier but using my iPad I was able to access my account. Went through the process of providing alternative email account (gmail) i got the notification message to my gmail account, went through the process but right at the end the process hung and would not continue. Quick question, is this change to a gmail address permanent or will I still be able to use my original ntlworld address as soon as I can reset my password?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The change of username is just that, only the username changes.  The underlying ntlworld email address will continue to operate as normal.  However you will need to use the gmail username to sign into the My Virgin Media account or VM webmail for the ntlworld email address concerned. 

If using a third party email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird to access the email account then the username remains the full ntlworld email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Getting frustrated now, I was able to log out of my wifes email account and login to my primary account. Went through all the procedures again as I got a warning the original verification message had expired. I changed to my gmail address but 20 minutes later no verification email has been sent to that address?

Now at a dead end....waited a while then went through the whole process again, changed to my gmail address and once again no verification message has been received. Where do I go from here?