Menu
mikes2400
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

distribution list

For the past few days I've been receiving dozens of emails every day in my inbox (all from different addresses starting info@) which Virgin tags as "this message is from a distribution list" and invites me to unsubscribe.

I'm not aware of being on any lists - does anyone know what this is all about?

0 Kudos
mikes2400
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

distribution list

Just to add that for some of them Virgin has added the message "This is a newsletter. You can unsubscribe or mark it as spam". I'm getting more and more all the time, No idea what this is all about.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: distribution list

@smf4122raised this issue nearly a year ago and it still remains unresolved, read more here Re: Spam emails recognised as newsletters

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

mikes2400
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. It seems that Virgin is actively inviting me to unsubscribe even though all these emails are obvious spam. It's hard to believe they are still doing that after being told about it .Virgin are actually inviting people to click on an Unsubscribe button that they are providing themselves (which can only generate even more spam).

I was foolish enough to think they know what they are doing and did click unsubscribe on some (against all my instincts). I won't make that mistake again. But I am angry that Virgin is actually increasing the amount of spam rather than reducing it.

smf4122
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

And the email boxes I have the most spam in are the ones I access thru the virgin website! The fact is they are creating more and more spam by having this stupid system and they seem to just want to bury their heads in the sand and ignore it. Just remove it, Virgin, plain and damn simple. Let us decide for ourselves what is spam and what isn’t like every other mail system!!!!!! It’s only on the website that this problem exists. 

mikes2400
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

smf4122 is correct. When I use Thunderbird as my email client all the emails that Virgin claim are distribution lists or newsletters are treated correctly as spam. So it's just Virgin that are suggesting they are not spam and should be unsubscribed from.

Kev_B
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I'm sorry for the frustration caused when trying to mark these emails as spam.

Currently the system won't mark these as spam, but we do have a workaround:

A bulk move can be performed by selecting all of the emails and then performing a drag and drop to place them in the spam folder. Alternatively, select the email and click More actions > Move > select "Spam" > Move.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
mikes2400
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Kev_B, you haven't replied to the main point, ie why is Virgin irresponsibly suggesting that these obvious spam emails are distribution lists or newsletters (which they are not), and incredibly providing an unsubscribe button.

Everyone knows that 'unsubscribing' to spam will simply generate more and more spam, so how can a major provider be so irresponsible to do that to its customers?

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The primary question is surely "Why does the VM email service flag obvious spam content as being on distribution lists or newsletters?"

The secondary question could be "Why has this issue still not been rectified since it was first noted (in the thread referenced below) in March 2019?"

As to the workaround, see the comment from smf3122 in post #42 here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-emails-recognised-as-newsletters/m-p/4147009/highlig...

"you must unsubscribe or mark each independently as spam."

That's about as far removed from a bulk move as it's possible to get.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
smf4122
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

And that doesn't work either. Yes the system might then allow you to move them to the junk folder but that apparently doesn't actually permanently mark them as spam and/or next time you refresh the inbox 90% of them just come back again. As I've also stated many many times to no avail, I resent the tone of the message too..."these are newsletters" as though you're stupid for not knowing that and you can mark them INDIVIDUALLY as spam so why oh why can you not mark multiple ones? I am surprised also that a media company's mail system can't tell the difference between a newsletter and a distribution list? The former is something you wd subscribe to for information and the latter is merely something someone sends out to multiple recipients with little or no input from said recipients. Surely something with a subject line of B*I*T*C*O*I*N whatever can be pretty easily identified as spam if only by the obvious disguising of the word to avoid detection.