Menu
blackwijet
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deleting a very old alternate email address

have a very old blueyonder alternate email address which is receiving a lot of spam from various places - it is forwarded to my main account.

I can see it under My Profile- Manage Accounts   but there doesn't show up anywhere that I can delete it - how can I get this done?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: deleting a very old alternate email address

@blackwijet wrote:

I can see it under My Profile- Manage Accounts   but there doesn't show up anywhere that I can delete it - how can I get this done?

That sounds as if it is an 'alias'. In other words it is merely an email address that links straight to the mailbox of your main email account rather than to its own separate mailbox. That was an option offered originally for Blueyonder email accounts before Virgin Media took them over.

VM do not allow new aliases to be created and I am 99.99% sure that you cannot delete existing ones, other than by deleting the main email address they link to. That is backed up by the fact  you cannot see an option to delete it.😉

Unfortunately I think you are just going to have to let it sit there.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The forum team can arrange for the deletion of alias email addresses but I would now caution against doing this, see Getting rid of email aliases.

An alternative strategy might be to:

• remove the forward
  • create a filter rule to move, delete, or discard messages addressed to the alias email address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
blackwijet
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but unfortunately I cannot remove the forwarding or create a rule as I am unable to access that alias to do anything, it just shows it under My Profile as an uneditable address.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

An email address has associated aliases and it is via use of the former you would, in webmail, sign in and remove auto-forward rule or create new rules. For example, if richard.branson@virginmedia.com's associated aliases were richardbranson@blueyonder.co.uk  and richard-branson@blueyonder.co.uk  then when signing into webmail the email address richard.branson@virginmedia.com  would be used.

0 Kudos
blackwijet
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yes I understand that but I am unable to access this alias as it is an old one that seems to be now permanently linked to the main email address which I do not want to lose.

I just want someone in tech support to tell me whether or not something can be done to either delete this defunct legacy email or to stop it being forwarded or block it or something!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The suggestion was not to access the alias but the email address it is linked to.

I have flagged the issue to the forum team who are best placed to take this forward with you; be aware it can take them a few days / hours to respond.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hello blackwijet

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention on the Forums 

I will drop you a private message to get things sorted 

If you can also include what email address you need deleting that would be great 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello blackwijet

Thanks for those details 

I have requested for the email to be deleted 

This can take 7-10 days 

If you go here  and enter the email, it will show red once its been deleted

Anything else you need pop back on here 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
blackwijet
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Great thank you so much, I really didn't expect such a quick response so I really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos