cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection to the server imap.virginmedia.com timed out

spud1962
Dialled in

I have been recently getting the following message when attempting to download emails via the thunderbird client 

"connection to the server imap.virginmedia.com timed out" 

Can anyone assist with getting this fixed, please?

9 REPLIES 9

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @spud1962 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums.

We are so sorry that this has happened with your email. Can I just check, are you able to view the email via webmail but you cannot download?

Have you recently changed your password at all?

WKeith
On our wavelength

I am getting the same.  Webmail works fine.  Installed eM mail client and it works fine too, as does Microsoft Mail on PC and Mail on iPhone.  

WKeith
On our wavelength

seems to be working ok now!

Hi there @WKeith 

Thank you for popping back to us and we are so glad to hear that this is now working.

Please do let us know if there are any issues and we will do all we can to advise.

WKeith
On our wavelength

it is no loner working on thunderbird, or other platforms.  Webmail is intermittent, sometimes working, sometimes throwing an error

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

I'm so sorry that this issue has come back @spud1962 

Can I ask what error gets thrown? 

WKeith
On our wavelength

was a connecion error

have now updated imap server on eM client to IMAP.ntlworld.com and it is working perfectly.  tried the same on thunderbird but it asked me for a password and the correct one failed.  it is still woking on eM. Back working intermittently on phone now.  webmail working intermittently but slow    and sometimes comes up with "server unavailable" when trying to load an email

Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance 

I have tried viewing recent email in webmail, which seems fine at the moment.

Thunderbird client seems unable to connect   "connection to the server imap.virginmedia.com timed out" , but has recently been successful in connecting earlier in the day, with no changes made within TB client? 

Outlook client on other devices also seem to be intermittently affected. There appears to be an intermittent "lag" ranging over several several hours. I attempted to sent an email to myself via Outlook client from my @ntlworld address at 23:15hrs last night, my Outlook client has received the msg today at 14:19hrs. My TB client (along with many other messages) has yet to be received?  No changes to either client, password or otherwise, have been changed. 

Hi spud1962, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums.

I am sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the email service and his is an issue which we are currently working on. 

Please see some information on the client set up here

Kind regards, Chris.