Menu
olliewasmydog
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

changing from imap to pop3 outlook2019 advice

Hi all,

I'm looking to switch from imap to pop3 for my virgin mail. I'm currently using outlook 2019 through windows 10.

Can anyone walk my through this, and, perhaps advise if it goes wrong?

TIA

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: changing from imap to pop3 outlook2019 advice

Hello

You will need to add a pop account you cannot convert a imap mailbox to a pop mailbox.

Have a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-update-settings-in-microsoft-outlook the one issue you will have is that you have local folders stored in outlook, as to add the pop account you will need to remove the imap mailbox.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Although you haven't explained why you want to do it my advice would be, that whatever the reason, the idea is utterly misconceived. VM's POP mail doesn't work in accordance with agreed standards (in that it still leaves mail on the VM servers) and it never will work properly. VM's implementation of IMAP does work as it should.

However the switch is easily done. You set up IMAP so setting up POP is just the same but with a different port number. I've given you a link to the settings for e-mail clients below. You cannot convert IMAP accounts to POP accounts. You need to recreate the e-mail account as a POP account and disable or delete the IMAP account.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-email-settings

We are here to help if you get into trouble but the best way of avoiding trouble is to leave well alone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@olliewasmydog wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking to switch from imap to pop3 for my virgin mail. I'm currently using outlook 2019 through windows 10.

Can anyone walk my through this, and, perhaps advise if it goes wrong?

TIA

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/705

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to pass on my advice on this, but first of all I should add that using POP3 in this day and age is not recommended, especially if you access mail through multiple devices.

This is because POP3 does not synchronise across devices - thus mail downloaded to one device might not be downloaded to another, and if you want to delete a mail, you have to delete it on each individual device.

Furthermore: Sent mail is only stored on the device that sent it.  Likewise folders have to be created on each individual device.

In addition mail is ONLY downloaded from the Inbox on the server as POP3 has no concept of folders on the mailbox it is downloading from.  Thus you would have to either:

Turn off spam filtering altogether  OR

Have spam delivered to your Inbox.

If you still want to use POP3 I can try and walk you through setting up the account on the web mail platform prior to setting up the POP3 account in Outlook.

Tim

0 Kudos
olliewasmydog
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it.

I understand I am not able to "switch" my Imap account to Pop3, and have actually tried to add a pop 3 account, but it simply doesn't work.

I find that my emails on the Imap account disappear once they are maybe older than three days, and so I am unable to view what's been received recently. How this can be corrected I don't know, but I'd love to get it sorted if at all possible.

I do use another email account for work purposes which is a paid for service. This is what I use mainly, but my old virgin email is linked to so many other things that need to be transferred, that it would be of huge benefit to have it working better than it does currently.

I guess this is more the reasoning behind my initial question, so perhaps I should have put it differently.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@olliewasmydog wrote:

I find that my emails on the Imap account disappear once they are maybe older than three days, and so I am unable to view what's been received recently. How this can be corrected I don't know, but I'd love to get it sorted if at all possible.

I would suggest you start by checking Outlook to make sure that you do not have any filters set up that may be hiding those emails.

Hopefully this screen shot is self explanatory. 😉

Coenoby

Outlook filters.png

0 Kudos
olliewasmydog
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, thanks for that, but sadly, the filter is set to off as you suggest.

I've no idea why this happens, but I hae read about others suffering the same problem with Imap.

0 Kudos