Menu
DJ69
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

cant send email, saying contains spam content ?

just started yesterday. getting this error message:

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [xxxxx@xxxxxx] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=6tg8kT3E6MVrf6tg8ktNv6;sid=6tg8kT3E6MVrf;mta=smtp3.tb;d=20200815;t=124448[CET];ipsrc=172.25.160.144;
)

my IP is clear on spamhaus

can receive emails no problem

ant help gratefully received!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
DJ69
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: cant send email, saying contains spam content ?

running on a mac laptop

seems to not be sending from my mobile either

never had this before and is to any recipient from my primary and secondary email accounts

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@DJ69 wrote:

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [xxxxx@xxxxxx] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=6tg8kT3E6MVrf6tg8ktNv6;sid=6tg8kT3E6MVrf;mta=smtp3.tb;d=20200815;t=124448[CET];ipsrc=172.25.160.144

my IP is clear on spamhaus

can receive emails no problem

ant help gratefully received!!

As it says in the error message something in your outgoing emails is triggering the spam filters. It has nothing to do with your IP address. Virgin Media seem to filter outgoing emails much more rigorously than they do incoming ones and that seems to cause frequent problems. 😕

Do you have a signature line in your emails that contains a link to a website? If so try removing that and see if it will send. To test that you can send the email to yourself and see whether it is delivered to your Inbox or Spam folder.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There is something within the message you are trying to send that is triggering Virgin Media's outgoing spam filters. The issue may clear itself in 6, 12, or 24 hours as the matching data used by spam filters is frequently updated. Should the issue persist then post back here to have it flagged to the forum team.

Alternatively you maybe able to located the cause and workaround it in the meantime by:

1. signing into webmail
  2. compose the problem email and put your own email address in the To field
  3. highlight half of the email content and cut ( + X)
  4. select Send
  5. select 2019-02-22.jpeg to refresh the mailbox; if necessary periodically repeat until the message sent in step 4 appears in your Inbox or Spam folder
  6. reply to the newly received message, if it was delivered to your Spam folder repeat step 3 otherwise within the message body select all ( + A), replace with the content previously saved in step 3 ( + V) and then repeat step 3

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DJ69
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

thanks for taking the time to reply.

I can send an email to myself and reply to that as well without issue. However, I cant send an email to my work email address or other groups i need to frequently send emails. there are 13 on that group so i thought it may be a limit but that is not the case.

I finally got through to VM and they are looking into the issue as it does appear to be 'filtering' outgoing messages but only since yesterday afternoon.

The chap at virgin seems to think they've done some sort of upgrade or change which may be effecting me. I will see what happens over the next 24 hours!

cheers

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@DJ69 wrote:

I can send an email to myself and reply to that as well without issue. However, I cant send an email to my work email address or other groups i need to frequently send emails.

Just a thought. When you sent test emails to your work email address or other groups did you use the "reply" or "reply to all" option rather than composing a brand new email? Using the reply option may mean any "suspect" urls or text in the original message are being incorporated in your reply. As we said earlier VM's spam filters often let "suspect" items in but block them from being sent.

The chap at virgin seems to think they've done some sort of upgrade or change which may be effecting me.

Possibly, or it could just be part of the normal process of updating the spam filters that VIP 用心 referred to in his post.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
DJ69
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

even with reply all or creating a new email - same error even with nothing in the email body. No links, no signatures, no text.

I think VM are doing some 'upgrade' which is effecting some of their older emails, Im using blueyonder? 

Hopefully, they resolve this because not being able to reply to emails is going to be VERY frustrating!!!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@DJ69 wrote:

I can send an email to myself and reply to that as well without issue. However, I cant send an email to my work email address or other groups i need to frequently send emails. there are 13 on that group so i thought it may be a limit but that is not the case.

See if sending yourself an email with the 13 email address included in the message body triggers the outgoing spam filters; if using webmail check if the message is delivered to your spam folder.

0 Kudos
DJ69
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

also,

I use a works email set up via the same virgin media platform and that works!! with signatures etc so this is 100% a virgin media / blueyonder email issue.

0 Kudos
DJ69
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is there a live chat with VM? call centre seemed to think they'd done some upgrade recently (did not fill me with confidence)

I can send an email to my wife's blueyonder account from my problem email account OK but still the same error with any other email address!! Spam content even with no text!

This is bizarre and will make business impossible. Help!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos