Menu
tpmchugh
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cant confirm new email

Decided to change my email from old ntlworld to @virginmedia.com. All went well until I try to access new account. Says I must click on link to confirm email but where is that email. Not in old ntl one or in main user email. I planned to change main user to the new account as when the change from ntl to virgin happened, somehow my wifes email became primary accont. Seems the new account has disappeared into the ether. Have checked spam on all accounts in case it went in there

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: cant confirm new email

It sounds like you have followed the process to change the username of the Ntlworld email address.  This does not alter the underlying email address.  The new username has to be a third party email address that you already have set up.

It isn't possible to change an existing email address to a different one.

You can cancel the change username process by signing into the My Virgin Media account with the Ntlworld email address and following the instructions to cancel the change.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tpmchugh
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

But where is the new email address. Already cancelled change. Been trying to change user name for a while now but its a minefield. Fact is, new email is still in the ether and I cant access it.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The process you went through does not create a new email address, hence the reason you can't find it.

As I said changing the username of an account does not alter the underlying email address, all it does is change the username used to access the account.

As to your primary objective of changing the primary account, it cannot be changed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
tpmchugh
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Following the same procedure as in the past I set up a new email account. I have done this a number of times for my kids. After it said I was successful did I try to change account user name which apparently worked and I got an email to my ntl mail to confirm but no links to click on. I then discover I cant access the new email without confirming on a link they said they sent but never did. If I try to set up a new email now using the same name it says that email is already used and suggest alternative names. The point is, I set up the new email some half hour before trying to change username so I was not in any change process. As I said, its not the first time I have set up new emails following the same process and never had a problem before. One for my wife and one each for my six kids so I do know what I am doing

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Media Mail system will not allow an @VirginMedia.com email address with the same prefix as an existing Ntlworld email address ( or blueyonder or virgin.net).

That is why it tells you the name is already in use.  This is a security measure and also applies if the target address has previously been used and subsequently deleted.

The process to create a new secondary account does not require a verification email to be completed.

When you went through the create new secondary account process at the start of this did you receive a confirmation email to the primary username saying that a new secondary account had been created?

0 Kudos
tpmchugh
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Used a different name
0 Kudos