Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

cannot send outgoing email from iphone on 4G

Trying to send a blueyonder email from my iphone on 4G, I get 'no password provided' even though it is there correctly in the email settings on the phone, and it will work if I am on wifi. This has happened before but I ignored it usually because it works ok if I am on wifi. I have tried deleting the email account (blueyonder) on the iphone and reinstalling, even restarting the phone. I also tried retyping the password in the outgoing settings, also with restarting. Still does not work!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: cannot send outgoing email from iphone on 4G

Most phones don't give a useful error message - they just report they got stuck, but don't feed back the VMxxx error code - which is essential to give you accurate diagnosis of what is causing the problem and how to solve it.

Can you access webmail in a browser (on your phone or any other device)?  Can you send and receive through webmail?  Webmail uses different servers so it is useful to know if that is working normally.

Another thing we should rule out is whether the IP address when your phone is using 4G connection is on a blocklist.  VM uses blocklists to reduce improper traffic.

To find your phone's IP address, go to Settings > About device > Status. Your phone or tablet's IP address will be displayed with other information, such as the IMEI or Wi-Fi MAC addressesMobile operators and ISPs also provide a so-called public IP address.

Enter that IP address in the spamhaus query page https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/.  Tell us which lists it appears in (but don't tell us the IP address).  We can give more advice once we know the status of the IP address.

IIRC, phone IP addresses are shared with other users, so you can't control what others may be doing and it isn't easy to tell if your device is causing the listing or someone else's device.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is going to sound a weird solution, I can go into more detail but make sure that when you send, you messages have a Subject: line.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Spot on! Thank you very much. Amazing (in fact, ridiculous) that this matters so much on the phone, yet it does not matter if I use Thunderbird on the laptop.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ravenstar has solved it. It seems essential to have a subject. Absurd!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@MrBullfinch wrote:

Spot on! Thank you very much. Amazing (in fact, ridiculous) that this matters so much on the phone, yet it does not matter if I use Thunderbird on the laptop.

It’s actually nothing to do with the device.

1. It’s bad practice to send a message without a subject.
  2. Virgin Media will allow it from their own IP addresses.
  3. Messages without a subject sent from non Virgin Media IP addresses are rejected by their SMTP servers.
  4. The iOS built in mail app has a bug in the error reporting, which results in the no password message, instead of the proper error message (it’s not the only bug either)

Thus when you send from 4G you get the error.  If you tethered the PC to your mobile and did the same thing, Thunderbird wouldn’t send either.

Edit - Here's the error I get from Thunderbird when trying the same thing.

suberr.PNG

Tim