Menu
smeggybowler
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

blueyonder email will send but not recieve

Hi 

my main email address has stopped receiving I  have been on the phone a number of times about this but when I finally thought I was getting somewhere I was cut off,I  was told it was something to do with the Virgin media filtering system and can be sorted out.Everytime i try to open emails now a box appears and it asks for my sign in details.Getting desperate now as it is my main email address and we are missing a lot of important emails.Anybody else been getting issues with blueyonder emails?

0 Kudos
smeggybowler
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

blueyonder account will not recieve any emails

Hi

my blueyonder email has stopped receiving email,i have been on the phone for over 3 hours to try and sort this to be told it is an internal fault due to blueyonder being discontinued but should not stop me recieving email,i was given a code 026 to pass to a more senior advisor so they could look up the history of my calls and put on hold yet again,when the call was answered i was immediately cut off.Can anyone advise any further or do i have to call again .

0 Kudos
smeggybowler
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: blueyonder email will send but not recieve

the error code I get is 0x8004210A,the operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving pop server.

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

You have now posted twice on the same subject under slightly different headings. I will ignore the first one and reply to this one – because -

1. You have now given us an error code – 0x8004210A - which implies -

2. That you are using Outlook. Please confirm if that is so.

Note that multiple posts on same subject under slightly different headings only causes confusion.

You now need to tell us - which version of Outlook – and which version of Windows.

If it is Windows 10 20H2 , you may be suffering the same issues as everyone in this MS Support thread - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/outlook-pop3-receiving-problem-0x8004210a/0a4...

Please read and advise if this is the case. If it is, it’s up to MS to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, can you confirm or deny that you are able to use VM Webmail to send and receive emails (NOT using Outlook). Any incoming emails should still be sitting in your VM Inbox.

0 Kudos
smeggybowler
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

windows 10 home version 2004

outlook 2007

my virgin media webmail is empty,i can send but no emails are recieved,i spent a couple of hours on the phone last week about this but all that happened was the spam filter was emptied into my inbox.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@smeggybowler wrote:

my virgin media webmail is empty,i can send but no emails are recieved,

If by that you mean that your Webmail Inbox is empty you need to check whether any filter rules have been set up in your Webmail account. Hackers do that to divert incoming emails away from your inbox so that you remain unaware of how they are using your email account.

Sign into your Webmail account

Click the system menu icon  (the 3 horizontal bars) on the right side of the menu bar and then click Settings.

Expand the E-mail options. Select Filter Rules.

That will display any filter rules or autoforward that have been set up. If you did not set them it means someone else did and you need to follow all the steps in this link to secure your VM account https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

Once you have removed any rogue filter rules you should start to receive new emails in your Webmail Inbox. You can then check again to see if Outlook can download them.  

BTW, just for completeness, if you have set up any filter rules yourself, perhaps to trap spam emails, you could disable those rules temporarily just to confirm they are not misbehaving and blocking other emails. 😉

If your incoming emails are not being blocked by filter rules set then something strange is going on. If you have another email account I would suggest sending an email to your Blueyonder address to see if you get a bounce back message of some kind telling you why the email could not be delivered. Or you could ask a friend or family member to send you an email and to let you know the result.

Finally. I am sorry but II had to laugh when I read in your earlier post that VM customer services told you it was due to "an internal fault due to blueyonder being discontinued". Some of them do come up with some nonsense when they don't know the real answer.😂

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

smeggybowler
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I can send emails from the outlook account but cannot receive, can receive them on an ios device, also I have no filters set on virgin webmail but no emails are in the inbox, none of my emails are going into this.Any emails sent to the blueyonder address do not bounce back. I now have a box opening asking to confirm user name and password but it doesn't seem to accept these it just keeps reappearing.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: blueyonder account will not recieve any emails

Good morning @smeggybowler 

Thank you for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your email address. 

If you are still unable to access your incoming mail then we would be more than happy to take a look into this for you. 

Please do let us know how things are looking. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@smeggybowler

I think there may be a few different things to consider here.

You say you "can receive them on an ios device, also I have no filters set on virgin webmail but no emails are in the inbox, none of my emails are going into this"

If your IOS device is receiving incoming emails it means your webmail account must be receiving emails because the email app on your IOS device accesses the VM email server to download your new emails. it does not receive them directly from the email sender.

However, the explanation as to why your webmail inbox is empty may be because the email app uses the IMAP protocol to synchcronise with your Blueyonder email (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol for details).  if the app is set to use IMAP it means that if you move  emails out of your Inbox on the IOS app to another folder on the app that move will be reflected on your webmail account. That mean the emails will no longer appear in your webmail inbox.

However, if your email app uses the POP3 protocol that would not explain why the emails are missing from your webmail inbox because POP3 merely downloads the emails to your device but does not synchronise back to your webmail account.

You can tell which protocol you are using by looking at the "Incoming Server" in the account settings on your app. The server name will be prefixed either "imap" or "pop3".

Regarding the issue with Outlook 2007. Firstly bear in mind that Outlook 2007is no longer supported and no longer receives security updates. There are better free email clients out there if you do not want to pay for an upgrade. These two get good reviews  https://www.emclient.com/ https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/  but there are several others. (Preaching now over 😉 )

Back to your issue with Outlook. The first thing you need to do is to check that your Outlook account settings are correct and up to date. See here for the settings themselves  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438   and here for a bit more help on how to do it https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-update-settings-in-microsoft-outlook 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
smeggybowler
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: blueyonder account will not recieve any emails

Hi

currently got the above topic running on this as well, posted as I wanted to get the code across. Will try what has been suggested tomorrow and will let you know how I get on, did call Virgin today and a ticket has been raised for someone to call back but nothing yet.

Thanks 

0 Kudos