Menu
brassed01
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

blocking a virgin email address to all incoming mail

Because of being bombarded with spam I have taken out a new contact address but now want to block all incoming mail to the old address. Have tried a filter but emails still get through.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: blocking a virgin email address to all incoming mail

It would be helpful to see the rule. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
brassed01
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One thing I did find which surprised me was that I had accumulated about 100 "Contact addresses" belonging to the Spam and Junk emails even though I had deleted them unread. I have deleted those addresses which seems to have reduced the volume coming through. Had got out of the habit of clearing out some of those folders.  

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@brassed01 You can easily resolve the collected email addresses issue by logging into your VM mail webmail page https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and go to settings > email > and remove the ticks from the automatically collect email address options.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The reduction in spam is not unexpected as I recently found that adding an email address to your address book does now stop its identification as spam. I wonder how many more users are seeing spam due to the automatic collection of email addresses?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

The reduction in spam is not unexpected as I recently found that adding an email address to your address book does now stop its identification as spam. I wonder how many more users are seeing spam due to the automatic collection of email addresses?

Correction… AFAICS entries in any address book but  Collected Addresses will result in the sender's emails not being flagged as spam; so the reduction in spam would be unexpected.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@brassed01 wrote:

but now want to block all incoming mail to the old address. Have tried a filter but emails still get through.

You never replied to 用心's post suggesting you should let us see the rule you are using so we cannot really offer much advice.

However, one thing you need to bear in mind is that the filter rules in VM Webmail are only applied to messages coming in to the Inbox.

That means that even if your rule was working perfectly and blocking every message coming into your inbox, the account would still be getting messages arriving in the Spam folder. (Possibly that's what you are seeing.)

To complete the blockade you need either to have your Spam settings set to "Reject All SPAM messages" (probably the most reliable way) or set to "Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox".  The latter setting should then allow your filter rule to work on your spam messages.

There is also an option "Turn off all SPAM filtering" but knowing  the idiosyncrasies of how VM deals with potentially "spoofed" email, I would not be 100% certain that the VM system would not still send the odd email into the spam folder.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
brassed01
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I found I could take out a new account with a different address, then use that for billing etc. Hoping I could the delete the old account, but now find it has to stay. Also my mobile account is tied to it. Just wondered if I could block everything coming into the old account.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try the following filter rule which will continue to keep emails from Virgin Media in your Inbox but will move all others out to a temporary holding folder:
2021-01-25.jpeg
When satisfied the rule is working as intended, i.e. only emails from Virgin Media are staying in your Inbox, consider changing the temporary holding folder to Trash.