Menu
cacher
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

bcc multiple recipients not being sent.

I need to send out messages to 200 members of our walking club. I use BCC for obvious reasons. Although I have tried every way I can think of, the emails are not going out from the Virgin website. I have put my own address in the To slot and all the other addresses in the BCC slot. Nothing works.

Any suggestions please? 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: bcc multiple recipients not being sent.

You need to be clearer - what do you mean by "not going out". What error messages are you seeing. What exactly happens. My initial suspicion is that 200 Bcc addresses is too many for the system to accept and process. VM is a residential mail service not a mass email service. Try breaking down your send into smaller groups or use free bulk emailer like Mailchimp.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you are using webmail, you should be able to send to up to 500 recipients.  However these are a cumulative total.  So if you send one mail to 250 recipients, then the next mail can only be sent to 250 recipients.

What error messages are you seeing when you try to send?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cacher
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'm only attempting to send to 200 recipients...VM have told me in the past, that I can send up to 500.  I do not receive an "error" note...I do not receive anything that tells me what I'm doing wrong. I enter my own email address in the "to" slot, and that does get sent and received. The 200 addresses I enter in the BCC slot are just ignored as if they're not there.  I can get around it by using an email client (IncrediMail), but need to reduce the number of recipients each time to fewer than 100. There have been problems with this method too and I'd prefer to solve the issue using the VM webpage. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@cacher wrote:
The 200 addresses I enter in the BCC slot are just ignored as if they're not there.

So are you seeing the bcc addresses when you open the sent email in Webmail? As below which shows a test email I have just  sent with 2 bccs which both arrived fine.

bcc recip.png

Of  course the bccs will not show up in the email you receive. That's the whole point of using bccs, those recipients are not visible to anyone-else who gets the email. 

" I do not receive an "error" note...I do not receive anything that tells me what I'm doing wrong. "

So presumably you know the bcc emails are not being received because the 200 intended recipients have advised you of that?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
cacher
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for delay in replying...going away for 2 weeks tomorrow and that's why I could do with sorting the problem out. None of the 200 recipients have received the email sent from VM webmail main site.  They receive emails sent using client IncrediMail (broken down to fewer than 100 recipients), but I can't use IncrediMail on my laptop while away from home, as Incredimail have ceased support and I can't get it for a new computer. 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to the Forums cacher

Can you tell me if you've been able to try few recipients in the BCC box to see if any of these can get through to the E-Mail addresses you're seeking to contact?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@cacher wrote:

None of the 200 recipients have received the email sent from VM webmail main site.

Ok, but as I asked earlier, are all the bcc (blind copy) addresses appearing when you go to your sent folder and view one of those emails that you sent with bccs?

coenoby_0-1620217661158.png

if not that's the reason no one is getting their copy and it likes a problem with inserting bcc addresses.  If they are then we and the Forum Team need to did deeper.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
cacher
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

When I've sent to 200 addresses in the BCC slot, I've added my own address in the TO slot.  When checking the "Sent" items, I have my own message, but there is no mention of any BCC addresses at all.  When composing a message and inserting the name of the Distribution List, the BCC box is filled with the names of the recipients and I need to double click on any name for their email address to be revealed.

I'm leaving home for two weeks tomorrow morning, so may have a problem replying to any helpful messages...I'll be using my laptop when away, not my desktop as at present.  Thanks for you attention to my problem. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@cacher wrote:

When I've sent to 200 addresses in the BCC slot, I've added my own address in the TO slot.  When checking the "Sent" items, I have my own message, but there is no mention of any BCC addresses at all.  When composing a message and inserting the name of the Distribution List, the BCC box is filled with the names of the recipients and I need to double click on any name for their email address to be revealed.. 

I am not sure what is going on there.

As a test I have just followed the steps I think you have taken:

1)  Set up a small distribution list of my own email addresses with various providers

2)  Composed an email with my Ntlworld address in the 'To' field

3) Inserted the new distribution list in the 'bcc' field

4) Sent the message.

In my test the bcc addresses all received the email and here is what I am seeing when I look at the email in my Sent folder:

bcc 2nd attempt.png

So the bcc addresses are showing as I would expect.

I must admit that I am not a regular VM webmail user but as far as my VM account is concerned everything seems to be working as it should with a bcc distribution list.

Sorry but I am at loss as to why your  bcc addresses are not appearing in the sent message in your email account. What I can say is that if the bccs are not showing up in your sent email then it is no surprise that they are not receiving the email.

The only thing I can suggest is trying with a smaller distribution list. Maybe there is an issue with a large distribution list, unfortunately I don't have 200 test email addresses I can use to test it out.

Coenoby

0 Kudos