cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

jimmylj
Tuning in

First time poster on here, hoping you can help 🙂

I've been with Virgin Media for several years now and don't think I've ever been able to access the email.  Thought I'd finally get around to fixing the issue.

Receiving the following error message:

jimmylj_0-1646734215853.png

I've reset my password as per the guidance at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema.... But I'm still getting the same problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jimmylj wrote:

I've been with Virgin Media for several years now and don't think I've ever been able to access the email.  Thought I'd finally get around to fixing the issue.

I know you say you have never been able to "access"  that email account but do you use an email app on your phone or an email client such as Microsoft Outlook to send and receive emails using that address?

The reason that I ask is in VM's Acceptable Usage Policy (see here Virginmedia acceptable-use-policy ) they say :

"6.7. If the email account is not used in any 90 day period we will suspend that account without prior notice. This will not impact any other email addresses associated with that account, as long as they are accessed within a 90 day period.

6.8. The email account will remain suspended for a further 60 days. During this time you can reactivate it by calling customer care.

6.9. Any e-mail accounts not reactivated will be closed and the contents permanently deleted"

The term "used" in 6.7 includes an email app or client checking the email account for emails so if you do manage the email account in that way none of 6.7, 6.8 or 6.9 will apply to your your account. 

However, if you have simply never used that VM email address it might explain why resetting the password does not unlock the email account.

Also, they are talking specifically about the email account not your "My Virgin Media" account where you can view your VM bills etc.

To be honest I don't think I have ever seen any evidence that VM actually implement that process of suspending and then closing unused email accounts but if someone never uses their VM email account it may well happen and the customer does not notice.

One of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will pick up your post and contact you via the forum in the next day or so. They will be able to check out exactly what is going on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

chp6ph1
On our wavelength

It's probably been locked by Virgin Media's remarkably inept 'security systems'.  I'm afraid you'll need to phone 150 to get it unlocked.  Don't be surprised if they can't do it immediately and it has to go off to 2nd line support folk.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jimmylj wrote:

I know you say you have never been able to "access"  that email account but do you use an email app on your phone or an email client such as Microsoft Outlook to send and receive emails using that address?

The reason that I ask is in VM's Acceptable Usage Policy (see here Virginmedia acceptable-use-policy ) they say :

"6.7. If the email account is not used in any 90 day period we will suspend that account without prior notice. This will not impact any other email addresses associated with that account, as long as they are accessed within a 90 day period.

6.8. The email account will remain suspended for a further 60 days. During this time you can reactivate it by calling customer care.

6.9. Any e-mail accounts not reactivated will be closed and the contents permanently deleted"

The term "used" in 6.7 includes an email app or client checking the email account for emails so if you do manage the email account in that way none of 6.7, 6.8 or 6.9 will apply to your your account. 

However, if you have simply never used that VM email address it might explain why resetting the password does not unlock the email account.

Also, they are talking specifically about the email account not your "My Virgin Media" account where you can view your VM bills etc.

To be honest I don't think I have ever seen any evidence that VM actually implement that process of suspending and then closing unused email accounts but if someone never uses their VM email account it may well happen and the customer does not notice.

One of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will pick up your post and contact you via the forum in the next day or so. They will be able to check out exactly what is going on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi

Thank you for the response 😀

I've never tried to access the email until now, so I'm guessing it just needs setting back up again.

Hopefully one of the Forum Team will spot this and be able to fix.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jimmylj wrote:😀

I've never tried to access the email until now, so I'm guessing it just needs setting back up again.

Hopefully one of the Forum Team will spot this and be able to fix.

If you have never used that email address and you really want to have a Virgin Media email account I would have thought the easiest route is simply to create a new VM email account yourself.

Here's how:

How to create a new Virgin Media email address

If you get your broadband service from us, you can add up to 9 additional email addresses. To create a new email address, follow the steps below.

1. Sign in to My Virgin Media
  2. Select My Profile at the top of the page (in the new MYM account interface you need to go to Account Settings and then Account details to get to the Manage accounts tab see 3 below)
  3. Select the Manage accounts tab – from here you can manage any additional email addresses
  4. Select Create a new account
  5. Choose a name to be associated with the email address
  6. Select the email address you want (this will always end in @VirginMedia.com)
  7. Select Check availability for your chosen email address
  8. Next, set up a password for the new email address
  9. Confirm the email address by selecting Create account

Once your new email address has been created, you can start using it within a matter of minutes.

I have taken that from this link, https://www.virginmedia.com manage-email-account which is a outline of how to use VM Webmail.

Coenoby

Thanks for the response!

I've managed to create an additional account, but I'd still like to get the email working on my primary account.

I did try creating an additional account before and the process glitched. The email address I entered on the first attempt is no longer showing as available, is this something the forum team will be able to assist with?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jimmylj wrote:

is this something the forum team will be able to assist with?

One of the Forum Team will be along in the next day or so and contact you via this thread. They can check out what's happened and see what the options are.

Coenoby

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jimmylj

Thanks for letting us  know about this 

I am happy to take a look at this for you 

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hi Gareth, apologies for the delay in responding.

I've replied to the PM.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for replying @jimmylj

@Gareth_L will get back to you via the private message. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley