cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

shaunwills
Joining in

as of yesterday around 4pm i lost access to my virgin.net email account on all devices. the message in a web browser reads;

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2.

the password is correct and i have waited hours but nothing works. i have had this accounts for 15+ years and is tied to everything i do. i tired rigning the number. option 2 isnt a good fit as this is mobile phone issues. i eventually got to speak to two support staff and neither could resolve this.

any ideas anyone. im desperate 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I am really afraid to say that the likelihood is that the Virgin.net email address either has been or is in the process of being deleted! If this address dates back to the old dial-up internet days, or the later ADSL connection, then when these services were terminated, users of Virgin.net email addresses would have been told that they needed to take up a broadband account with VM to continue using the address, otherwise they would be deleted after a period amount of time.

Now what actually happened in reality was that in some cases these addresses weren’t deleted when they should have been and they lingered on. But, not being associated with a live VM broadband account - which is now a condition of using any of the VM branded addition - these email addresses and mailboxes are always in danger of being swept up in a period clean up of these ‘orphaned’ accounts, and simply disabled and deleted.

There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that the account has only been disabled, in which case it might, and I stress might be possible that it can be temporarily reactivated for you, but this will be a strictly temporary arrangement, it will not last and eventually it will be deleted with no possibility of recovery.

If the deletion process has gone too far though, then, I’m afraid it has gone, along with all the email within it. 
As this thread had already been seen by the forum staff, they should return to it and see what if anything could be done, but you do need to be prepared for the worse.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Provided the email address concerned is attached to your current VM broadband account try following the instructions set out here to unlock the account:

Email accounts locked, mailbox unable, unable to a... - Virgin Media Community - 4808847

If it isn't tied to your VM broadband account the email address may be in the process of being deleted.  The VM Forum Team should be able to confirm either way when they reach this thread in a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Graham_A,

Thanks for the response. i tried your suggestion and it doesnt work sadly.

I do not have a VM broadband account. i never have had. i just have a @virgin.net email address and have had for 15 or so years and never had any other services from virgin media. The mail was working fine one minute then it stopped. im sure VM would not have deleted an active mailbox of 15 years without either checking or notifying the user. that would be just the dumbest thing ever

cheers 

Hi there @shaunwills

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team.

I'm sorry to hear that your email is not working and a big thank you to @Graham_A for their advise! 

I just want to clarify, how did you originally set up this email address? 

Thank you.

Hi @Ashley_C 

thank you for getting back to me. I really cannot remember now how i set it up, it was in the late 1990's so when it was virgin.net. im assuming i just signed up as a customer of your ISP package via my BT line. 

I can still log onto and manage my account via virginmedia.com (do you want my account number? and email address?) that all looks ok. it is just that mailbox isnt available. can you help please? im desperate now. even my internet banking is tied to it so i cant log on to that now as it sends a confirmation email

Cheers in advance

Anyone got any more suggestions? im really lost without this mailbox. its critical to so many things. can anyone at VM look to see what they have done please? 

I am really afraid to say that the likelihood is that the Virgin.net email address either has been or is in the process of being deleted! If this address dates back to the old dial-up internet days, or the later ADSL connection, then when these services were terminated, users of Virgin.net email addresses would have been told that they needed to take up a broadband account with VM to continue using the address, otherwise they would be deleted after a period amount of time.

Now what actually happened in reality was that in some cases these addresses weren’t deleted when they should have been and they lingered on. But, not being associated with a live VM broadband account - which is now a condition of using any of the VM branded addition - these email addresses and mailboxes are always in danger of being swept up in a period clean up of these ‘orphaned’ accounts, and simply disabled and deleted.

There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that the account has only been disabled, in which case it might, and I stress might be possible that it can be temporarily reactivated for you, but this will be a strictly temporary arrangement, it will not last and eventually it will be deleted with no possibility of recovery.

If the deletion process has gone too far though, then, I’m afraid it has gone, along with all the email within it. 
As this thread had already been seen by the forum staff, they should return to it and see what if anything could be done, but you do need to be prepared for the worse.

wow! this is incredible. thank you @Jem101.

how come Virgin Media (who have my contact details) have never ever bothered to tell me this? my whole life is tied to this email address, all legal and financial email history is in that mailbox. every thing! i cant logon to any of my bank accounts without this email address

I am battling right now with a "support" person via whatsapp who just keeps repeating the same stuff about me having an orphaned account, as i  left then 90 days. i havent left them i have an active virginmedia account with my mail box linked to it. i can log in and see the details. i have sent them screen shots and they just keep saying that i dont exist!! **bleep** !!! i have to say they have been truly incompetent 

thanks for your help though

i have found this on the internet

https://www.maidenheadcs.co.uk/what-to-do-if-you-have-a-virgin-net-email-address/

It is right in that virginmedia have zero interest in helping

all this "cloud" drive where you dont download stuff as its safe with the provider... what a load of rubbish. 15 years of financial and legal mails all lost. access to banks, and every internet service i use disrupted!! and virginmedia support staff just dont care a bit 😞

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @shaunwills

I am really sorry to hear that you have been having some issues with your email address. 

Whilst the email address might be in the prosses of being deleted, I will try my hardest to get you access to the address.  

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can take a closer look into this, you can find this in purple envelope on the top right of the screen. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M