Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your mailbox is not available at the moment

I have had the following error message when trying to access Virgin Media webmail for over a day (since yesterday around mid-day):

"Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary."

I am unable to use a telephone, so the message is not very helpful.

I have searched the forums here, and there are around 30 threads on this topic (maybe something on this should be pinned to the top of the email sub-forum?). I have looked at some of the answers provided there, and I am a current VM broadband customer and have not had any problems with webmail recently though I did get some 'not delivered' bounces back from someone's email address where the emails were not delivering just before I lost access. I was in the middle of trying to send an email when the sending failed and I got an error message that was something like "sent-mail inactive" (can't remember the exact wording).

I don't think it is an orphan account problem. My email address dates from the telewest era and is in the blueyonder domain. The emails sent to this email address are still arriving via the blueyonder one at another email address that I have set up forwarding to from the blueyonder one, so there doesn't appear to be a problem with incoming email. I am able to log in to My Virgin Media and see my accounts and email addresses listed in my profile there (and that also confirms the broadband account details).

So what do I need to do to try and sort this, given that I can't use the telephone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Your mailbox is not available at the moment

I suggest you wait here for a member of the VM Forum Team to respond.

It sounds as if you account may have been locked for security reasons.

Whilst waiting for a reply you could try using the Forgotten Password link in the sign in page to change your password.

Alternatively, as you can access your My Virgin Media page then you should be able to change the password for the secondary account there.

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply and the advice.

I will wait for a member of the VM Forum Team to respond - how long might that be?

I will consider changing the password, but will that completely fix everything? It may be better for me to wait, as I've seen a couple of threads where people ran into problems with email after changing (or attempting to change) their passwords. I'd prefer to only do that once I am in touch with someone at Virgin Media who can help to fix things if that does not work, remembering that I can't use the phone so I am reliant on online help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Chrilukr.

Can we please confirm if this is attached to the active account with us? You will see this listed under your mailbox management page. 

If this is attached to the active account as a primary email it will be the same password as your My Virgin Media login, if this is a secondary mailbox on your account you can reset the password through your mailbox management page on your online account.

If this email address is attached to a closed account the only thing we can assist with is having this deleted from our systems or if we pass security on both accounts we can have your old email address transferred over but this would replace your current email addresses on the active Virgin Media account.

Let us know what you'd like to do.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emily. Thank you for your reply.

Would it be possible to discuss the specific details of this in a non-public way? I am not comfortable going into too much more detail in a public forum, and your message mentions closed accounts when it should be clear from my original post that this is an active account.

Maybe I should try and explain again.

When I try to login to my email (my main email account, not any secondary accounts), I get the error message I described. When I look to the top of the screen, there is the option to switch to the "My Virgin Media" page, and when I do that I get the normal display there, with account number, area reference and 'My Package' and 'My Latest Bill' (i.e. this is clearly an active account).

When I click on the 'My Profile' tab, the display switches to show three tabs ('My Profile', 'Manage Accounts', and 'My Preferences'). When I scroll down the 'My Profile' page, there is an area headed 'Virgin Media Mail' where the main email address is given (this is the one that I have been unable to access). Below this are four alternate email addresses. This makes sense so far, but then you mention a "mailbox management page". Where is this page? I cannot see anything that looks like a "mailbox management page". There is a 'Manage Accounts' tab, but from what you are saying that is something different and relates to email accounts not to the mailboxes for the accounts.

Maybe when you say "mailbox management page", you mean the page I would see if I scrolled back up the 'My Profile' tab and clicked on 'Change' next to the password. Or is the 'My Profile' display what you mean when you refer to a "mailbox management page"?

Also, I am not clear whether you are saying I should reset my password or not. Could you explain why I would need to do this and what has likely happened here (I get the impression from elsewhere that if my account has been locked for security reasons, I would get a letter in the post if there was no other contact information)? If changing the password is what people should be doing, why is the error message not telling people to reset the password? Why is the error message directing people to an overloaded phone helpline or forcing people to come onto forums like this and ask for help?

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Apologies the web-site may have been updated, as far as we were aware you have a Manage Mailbox section although this may be where the email address' are listed. 

Can we please confirm if you're logging into your My Virgin Media account with the same password as you're using the log into the email? As these would usually be the same.

Can you please reset the password and try log in again.

Let us know how this goes.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Before I answer that question about the password, should I be answering it in a public forum?

I agree that usually they would be the same. What difference would it make? What would the plan be if resetting the password did not work?

Yes, I can try and reset the password, but I would want to be sure before doing this that I would have more immediate and more direct access to technical support from Virgin Media if something went wrong, and that resetting the password will not make matters worse. I am wary that any changes made to this account that is many years old and predates the Virgin Media-era may trigger something unexpected that will be difficult to fix.

What I don't want is to try this, for it not to work, and then to be left waiting with no way or finding out what is going on. As I cannot use the phone, would it be possible to set up a way to follow up immediately (in private, not in public) after I try resetting the password?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We'd need to go through these tests with you in the public forum and we will take this into a private message if and when needed.

Please do the tests I've outlined here so that we can check on this, if the email address is connected to your active account the type of email address shouldn't matter as it's OK as long as it's connected to an active account. 

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emily.

I reset the password, but I am still getting the error message when I try and access my email via Virgin Media (I did clear cookies from the cache).

The email from Virgin Media confirming that I had successfully changed my password did come through (via the forwarding I have set up on the account). And I can still access the 'My Virgin Media' account page.

So what happens now? Does this go private or are there more 'public' tests that need to be done?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response chrilukr

Let's see if we can make a change to your password in a private arena once we have passed data protection on your account

Please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos