Menu
miaitken
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

YOUR PC HAS BEEN HACKED

I do not very often open the Virgin Email, I did today and found a message saying my PC has been hacked. 

I do not use Virgin email as a service.

The message shows my password, so I have changed that. 

Do I require to do anything else.

I have run a scan on my PC but nothing shows up.

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: YOUR PC HAS BEEN HACKED

@miaitken wrote:

Do I require to do anything else.I have run a scan on my PC but nothing shows up.

Was the message along the lines outlined here?: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/alert/alert-cyber-criminals-send-victims-their-own-passwords-in-ne... There are many variations but they all follow the same basic pattern.

This type of scam has been doing the rounds for years and is a complete scam. Do not worrry, they have not hacked your PC.

Although you do not use VM's email service (and kudos to you for that 😉) you still do not want scammers or spammers to be able to access your VM email account. It could cause you a lot of problems if they do so best to take precautions.

Here is Virgin Media's advice on what to do to secure your email account. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is a known scam intended to convince you they have an incriminating video of you visiting nefarious websites,  they then begin requesting money from you in order to stop them sending these videos to your partner/boss/friends.

0 Kudos
miaitken
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Ananka,

Yes it is similar.

I ignored it, but tried to send it to Virgin to have it checked, the email would not send because on of the phrases held a virus.

So I deleted it and changed my password.

Regards

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good idea to change your password just in case.
I’ve received these & it’s always an old password.

If when you sent it to VM it was blocked due to a virus then I hope you didn’t open any attachments.
If it said it was blocked due to containing spam then this means Virginmedia are aware of the phishing email.

0 Kudos