Menu
Henny1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Would like to remove old @virgin.net account

Hi

I am getting very frustrated!!  I have an old (1990s) @virgin.net account.  It was in the time when they were free.  As I am not a paying customer i cannot change any settings on the account inluding password.

I no longer use it because of this, and am really really keen for it to be deleted as soon as poosible.

I have read it will stop of its ow acord after 90 days, but this is a long time.  I used the online chat and they got me to use the customer services pone, however this only has options that require yur virgin account number (which I dont have!).

The email account has been coproised so i want to remove it as soon as possible,

Many thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Would like to remove old @virgin.net account

@Henny1 wrote:

so i want to remove it as soon as possible,

The Forum Team (Virgin Media employees) can arrange for that email account to be deleted for you. However, it may take them a few days to pick up this post.

Just be patient and help will arrive.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Henny1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi

many thanks!

Henny

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Henny1.

Thanks for getting in touch. 

What you have read is correct - an email account will be 'purged' around 90 days after your disconnection date. If it's been compromised in the meantime it would be best to reset & change the password to prevent any unauthorized use. 

I understand that is possible for us to delete an email account - but it's not something we'd do under normal circumstances. If there's anything else we can assist with though please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Melissa_F wrote:

Hi Henny1.

Thanks for getting in touch. 

What you have read is correct - an email account will be 'purged' around 90 days after your disconnection date. If it's been compromised in the meantime it would be best to reset & change the password to prevent any unauthorized use. 

You must have missed the content of the first paragraph in the op's first post:-

"I am getting very frustrated!!  I have an old (1990s) @virgin.net account.  It was in the time when they were free.  As I am not a paying customer i cannot change any settings on the account inluding password."

I understand that is possible for us to delete an email account - but it's not something we'd do under normal circumstances. If there's anything else we can assist with though please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Thanks

In any event, a free virgin.net email account set up in the 1990's should have been purged by now, under standard Virgin Media Terms and Conditions, and the circumstances are anything but normal.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Melissa_F wrote:

I understand that is possible for us to delete an email account - but it's not something we'd do under normal circumstances

Thanks for coming onto the Forum on a Sunday. Smiley Happy

However, as Sololobo has pointed out, Henny1 said in the original post "The email account has been coproised so i want to remove it as soon as possible".

In the past the Forum Team has always arranged for compromised orphaned email accounts to be deleted which was why I gave the advice I did in my first response.

I do not want to give new forum members incorrect advice so we need to be told if there has been a change in policy.

Coenoby

BTW I apologise to Henny1 but the advice that I gave in my first response was based on my experience of how things work (or used to work) on the Forum.Smiley Embarassed

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not happy with Virgin Media's answer in this thread, however as many are aware Swansea is closing down and the load is being taken up at the new contact centre in Manchester.

With that in mind I'm prepared to give a little leeway here for Manchester to get up to speed on things like this, I have however taken some thoughts back to the SU forum to pass on to Virgin Media on this matter.

In one of my jobs I was in a similar situation where I was in a new contact centre taking over from a well established one.  I can therefore relate to the new Forum Staff a little.

Anyway watch this space.

Tim

P.S.  Before anyone asks - I didn't work for Virgin Media Smiley Very Happy lol

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello Henny1

Thank for your post 

Just to confirm the email address @virgin.net is now deleted 

Sorry for the short answer 

Regards 

Gareth_L

Henny1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have just checked and my @virgin.net account is most definately still there, accepting in hundrerds of spam emails.

The email address is **********@virgin.net

Henny

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We'll ask the Forum Team to look at this again @ModTeam  because I am surprised by this result. The process to remove addresses like this has not, so far as I am aware, failed before. I does involve some work by the VM e-mail team to sort out the databases.  Only they can do this.

In the meantime can you test the address here please:

http://mailtester.com/testmail.php

and let us know the result?

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos