Menu
DavidB2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

World Record application for slowest e-mail

I am about to make an application to the Guinness Book of Records for Virgin Media to be awarded the world's 'slowest e-mail' award.

Has anyone had a slower delivery than 30 hours and 7 minutes for an e-mail of just 3K to travel 30 inches?  On the 2nd September 2020 at 15.06 hours, while I was sat right next to her, my wife sent me a simple 'Testing' e-mail.  It arrived in my Inbox at 21.13 on 3rd September 2020. 

That is 1 bit every 36 seconds - somewhat slower than the 200Mb/s they claim I am getting.  More than 7 billion times slower in fact.

Today, some 24 hours on, I am still waiting for an e-mail Virgin Media Call Centre staff allegedly sent me yesterday afternoon.  I fear I may not live long enough ever to see it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: World Record application for slowest e-mail

@DavidB2 I am still waiting for an e-mail Virgin Media Call Centre staff allegedly sent me yesterday afternoon.  I fear I may not live long enough ever to see it.

It'll still arrive quicker than a promised "manager call back", where you'd not have received your promised callback before the heat death of the universe (or the disproof of that hypothesis).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidB2,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry the email you sent to test took a long time to arrive, what service was it on is it our email address and was it sent to another Virgin email, the spend of your internet doesn't necessarily mean the email will send at the same speed.

Regards

Paul. 

0 Kudos
DavidB2
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response.  I realise that e-mails don't necessarily go at the same speed as the internet service.  However, 1 bit every 36 seconds is still a tad slow.  

The e-mail was sent from my wife's ntlworld e-mail address to my virgin media e-mail address.  Its size (according to the received e-mail) was 3K and sent on 2nd September 2020 at 15.06 hours but not received until the next day, 3rd September, at 21.13 hours.  I did receive other e-mails in the meantime.

Several months ago, an e-mail sent to me from the local authority on a Thursday afternoon did not arrive until the Saturday morning.

Then, Tuesday last week when I asked Virgin Media to reduce my speed from 200 Mbit/s (why pay for a service they are not delivering?), their agent (in Bangalore - I always ask where they are) sent me an e-mail with my new package details.  When it hadn't arrived after about 5 minutes, he said he had sent it again.  Now, seven days on, it still hasn't arrived.  If it comes at the same speed as the one my wife sent I won't live to see it, given Bangalore is 5,000 miles away.

The fundamental problem is that the company just doesn't care about the quality of service.  If they did, you wouldn't see so many street cabinets with their doors flapping in the breeze leaving the equipment open to the elements.  2 or 3 years ago when I reported one particular open cabinet to their Head Office, it even took them nearly 6 months to get the lock fixed so it wasn't just held with sticky tape. 

Regards,

David 

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DavidB2 

1. Open Vm webmail

2. Open MXToolbox.com

3. In VM webmail, open the email you received from your wife

4. Click 3 red bars at far right - below email time.

5. Select “View Source”

6. Copy the complete email source (Ctrl+c)

7. In MXToolbox, select “Analyse Headers” (middle of black line across page)

8. Paste the email source (Ctrl+v) into the “Paste Header” area

9. Click the coloured “Analyse Header” box.

That produces a step-by step view of the email’s progress from your wife’s email source all the way through any intermediate servers – to your VM Inbox - with details of time spent at each intermediate stage.

That should show you where any significant delays are occurring.

0 Kudos
DavidB2
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your detailed answer - but isn't that what I am paying Virgin Media over £100 per month to do - provide a service to match what they offered and if it doesn't work, fix it. 

Without being ungrateful, pray tell me what I am supposed to do with the information when I found  out (assuming I do) where the problem is? 

That won't explain why the other e-mail took nearly two days to reach me.

Thank you anyway,

David 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DavidB2 I'm tempted to say don't knock it until you have tried it.

The process you have been advised to try can reveal a lot about where the delay occurred and why it occurred.  If the delay was within the VM email system then VM may be able to investigate further for you.

I don't know how many emails VM process every day through their servers, but it is likely to be a large number.  Working out why some may get delayed needs info from all parties concerned in the process to track any issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DavidB2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham.

Thanks for the suggestion - I have now got the results which, to me, suggest the delay was caused at the sending end. 

Relay Information

Received Delay:

0 seconds

DavidB2_0-1608658865551.png

The table then shows there were 4 hops, with zero delay all at exactly the same time 8:13:12 on the 3rd September, i.e. when it arrived.

However, I note that although hop 1 has a tick in a green circle under 'Blacklist', hops 2, 3 and 4 have a cross in a red circle.

Presumably, the next step is to do the same with my wife's sent e-mail, if I can?. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos