cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Windows Mail notification saying “Your Blueyonder account settings are out-of-date”

MisterM
Tuning in

My laptop is Windows 10 and I use Windows Mail which is linked to my blueyonder email account which I have had for as long as I can remember, literally years. I have been sending and receiving emails via my Windows Mail previously and all evening without issue but tonight I tried to send an email and I got an alert at the top of my Windows Mail page that reported “We couldn't access this account: Blueyonder. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device."

I accessed the account settings in my Windows Mail and clicked on the blueyonder account that it is linked to. The User Name box was pre-populated with my email address and the Password box was pre-populated with 16 black dots which presumably hide the actual password digits that had been entered when I originally linked Windows Mail. I recall when I originally linked my Windows Mail account to my blueyonder account, the password that I used for my Windows Mail account was the same password that I use to log into My Virgin Media and into my webmail, so those 2 passwords were always the same. I tried typing that password in but Windows Mail would not accept it and the same “We couldn't access this account: Blueyonder. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device." Message was reported once again at the top of my Windows Mail page.      

I rang Virgin Media and they said that because my password had not been changed for a while, it will probably be something to do with them updating the security settings and that all that would need to be done was to change the password that I use for logging-into My Virgin Media and then change the password for my Windows Mail.

Whilst I was still on the phone to Virgin Media I changed the password for logging into My Virgin Media and I accessed my account with no issues but when I tried to enter the same password into my Windows Mail account settings I once again received the “We couldn't access this account: Blueyonder. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device." message at the top of my Windows Mail page.

The lady I was on the phone to then transferred me to someone else in Technical who eventually said that because I could log into my Virgin Media but it was my Windows Mail that I couldn’t access, she couldn’t help me as it was not a Virgin Media issue. I asked if she could tell me the correct and up to date incoming and outgoing mail settings so that I could check these against those that were already saved in my settings but she said she did not have that information to give me.

I have checked in my Windows Mail account settings and the Incoming email server imap setting and the Outgoing (SMTP) email server setting are the same as the ones that I screenshotted when I originally set Windows Mail up when I bought the laptop so I assume that they are still current and correct.

I once again tried to change the password in my Windows Mail but I got the same message being reported as has been described above.

I also now keep receiving a Windows Mail notification saying “Your Blueyonder account settings are out-of-date” yet according to Virgin Media, this issue is nothing to do with them?

Is there anything else I can try before I call Virgin Media back again to try to get them to actually help me?

7 REPLIES 7

MisterM
Tuning in

I think I have resolved this myself. I will just make sure that my Windows Mail is now working as it should and once I have done so, l will post what I did.

HI MisterM,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you had with your email address.

I'm glad to hear you've been able to resolve this. Please do let us know if you need any assistance in the future. 

^Martin

Hi, Im having the same problem. Could you inform me how you resolved it please.

Thanks

mandyx1967
Tuning in

hi im having the same problems trying to view my emails through outlook keeps saying my blueyonder is out of date how do i fix it

Petercmac
Joining in

I am having the same problems on my Windows 10 laptop- I keep getting told that my Blueyonder and Virgin Media settings are out of date. Follow the online instructions in "settings" and keep getting a new four word password to use, which is silly. Any sensible ways of fixing this irritating problem please?

Hi Petercmac,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your email account. Can you confirm if you're able to access your emails over via webmail?

Alex_Rm

I was the person who posted about this issue originally but I honestly can't remember how I fixed it unfortunately. I spoke to VM at the time but they weren't able to provide any help to me. They actually tried to transfer me to another Technical Department who advised me that they charge for any advice that they give! which I said I wasn't prepared to do.

All I can suggest is that you go into the settings in your Windows mail and check everything is still set-up correctly. Alternatively, log off your wi-fi connection and then log back in again. Try re-booting your VM hub. You could also try changing your password and see if that works. Sorry I can't be of any more help but I wish all of you who are suffering with this issue, the best of luck.