Menu
Leah57
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Will a virgin.net email address work on a Chromebook

My best friend in the UK, a senior citizen classed as vulnerable, can no longer get upstairs in her home due to multiple health issues and currently undergoing chemo for a third time. She is used to a Lenovo desktop computer running Windows 10 with Outlook and Microsoft Office 365. I am shopping for a budget laptop with touchscreen that she can use downstairs, so she can order groceries, shop on-line and access her email account. It is a virgin.net address and is still functioning. I think a Chromebook will fit her needs and, most importantly, her budget, but I really, really need to determine if she will be able to access her virgin.net email address from it, as this is one of the most important functions for her on the new laptop. She is used to accessing email through Outlook. If she downloads MS Office apps onto a Chromebook, can you please confirm she will be able to get to her virgin.net address? She is a current Virgin customer. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will a virgin.net email address work on a Chromebook

Hello

Yes she will still be able to use her virgin.net email address on outlook for chromebook.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Leah57
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! I was about to pull the trigger on an Asus Chromebook when I saw some posts regarding people having problems getting to their Virgin email on them. I'll go ahead with the purchase.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think it is worth expanding on that reply.

Virgin.net email addresses date back a long time and were often set up via the now defunct dial up system.

Before making any changes please make sure that your elderly friend's virgin.net email address is fully linked to her current Virgin Media broadband account.

This can be checked by signing into the My Virgin Media account with the primary account details.  The Virgin.net address needs to appear under the My Profile tab in the my services section, or as an additional account under the My Accounts tab.

Provided it does there shouldn't be any problems. If it doesn't then the address may be in an orphaned state, which is not good news.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Leah57
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Graham, for that expansion. I appreciate it. I know about a year ago she spent hours and hours on the phone with Virgin due to a problem with her password. As long as she continued to access her virgin.net address via Outlook Express she could view it, but not any other way. The tech never mentioned about virgin.net not being supported anymore. I didn't even realize virgin.net had been phased out and I just read about orphaned accounts last night. This is not good news for her, especially as she is in no fit state, mentally or physically, for extra stress. She has a lot in that email account she depends on and wants to keep. I could download what she needs to a thumb drive if I was there, and we could start over with a new email address, but I'm in the States and won't be with her until August (pending COVID restrictions and her health). I was hoping a Chromebook would be easier to set-up and simpler to use. I wanted to get her up and running and reconnected with her email as she has not been able to be at her computer since January. 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to read that. Virgin.net email addresses are still supported, but only if tied to a current VM broadband account.

This horrible pandemic is throwing up all sorts of issues in addition to all the tragic deaths it has led to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos