Menu
stuw222
Joining in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Why is my broadband not allowing me to send emails?

I have been on the phone all day to my email provider my computer manufacturer and TRIED to talk to virgin and all blaming each other why all of a sudden I can not send emails from my accounts. two are saying its an issue with my internet but can not see why and if so can not get virgin to solve it! I have some extremely important emails to send and this just all seems madness 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my broadband not allowing me to send emails?

Does it work if you hotspot a connection to your phone?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
stuw222
Joining in
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

yes all works fine then 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I've moved this thread to the right place on the Forum where email experts can look at it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
stuw222
Joining in
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

thank you any help in solving this will be greatly appreciated as really need to get this back working today
0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Just tell us exactly what is happening when you try to send, from what device does it fail and what are the error messages you see; rather than this confused account which tells us nothing of value in diagnosing what is going on. We can't see what you see. We are totally reliant on what you tell us. Is your internet working - can you get to websites and the like if you want to view them?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
stuw222
Joining in
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

The internet is fine and I can use that on all devices I have rebooted this morning as that was slow.

I can not send any emails from my iMac and MacBook air as I keep getting asked to put in my password again in a pop-up box that appears on the screen (both email address I am having issues with are BT ones). I have been on phone to BT and Apple and both are telling me its something wrong with my internet as when I hotspot off my phone it all works normally. I have tried removing the accounts and setting up again but had to hotspot to get them back on 

Does this help? 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

If your internet access is fine then this is not an internet issue. VM are only acting as the carrier of your traffic. If you are using BT mail why on earth are you asking on a Virgin |Media Forum on how to resolve issues with BT mail? 

But there is a clue in what you say to what may be happening. But VM can't solve it.  If your mail works when you hot spot off your phone then it is possible that BT are blocking your home IP address (via the Hub) for some reason. Hot spotting of your phone changes your IP address to that of your phone provider.  It is possible that your  home IP address has been blacklisted.

You can run a check to see if this is the case.

Open this page and note the IP address:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

The paste that IP address in the IP box on this page:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

and tell us the result. Now take note of this. Do not post your IP address on this Forum. It will identify you. Just tell us whether your address is listed and if so on what list. That's all. 

I may be able to help further from there - but I'm guessing you will have to go to BT for this. 

Having said all this I do hope that when you are sending mail with a BT address you are using the BT mail settings in your e-mail programs and not trying to send via the VM servers. because if you are that will fail.

stuw222
Joining in
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

the reason why I am on here as I have said already everyone is telling me its an issue with my internet and as someone who does not really understand all this have come here for further help!!

********** is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL) it is telling me but I have no clue what to do now and why this has all of a sudden happened

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Good, the PBL listing doesn't mean anything. We would expect to see this. I won't bother to explain why. Just take it on trust. It won't stop you sending mail. Your IP address is not being blacklisted.

So I think this is a problem with BT's mail system. I'm no expert on that. But they do have a Forum (Google for it). I hope you are using the BT mail settings on your two Apple devices and not trying to send via the VM mail servers.

0 Kudos