Menu
Darkstorm70
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why does VM keep refusing my password and that of kids accounts randomly ( and no my caps lock is not on)

Why does VM keep refusing my password and that of kids accounts randomly ( and no my caps lock is not on)

My son needs access to his email account for job hunting , his logon worked 2 days ago , now it wont

then I tried to logon , no luck

I tried another account that wont work either ( and thats the one VM think manages the family account)

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does VM keep refusing my password and that of kids accounts randomly ( and no my caps lock is not

There may be a few different reasons - can you first tell us:

Are you a current VM broadband customer?  And is this e-mail address associated with your broadband account?   If you are a VM broadband customer you can check this in My Virginmedia > My Profile > Manage accounts

https://my.virginmedia.com/home/index

Does this happen on devices/phones, email clients or just VM webmail?

You might want to see the advice here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

and here: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Darkstorm70
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does VM keep refusing my password and that of kids accounts randomly ( and no my caps lock is not

Are you a current VM broadband customer?  Yes I have been for 20 + years

e-mail address associated with your broadband account? Yes  #################################

check this in My Virginmedia > My Profile > Manage accounts :  Tried this but NO point if I cant log in

Does this happen on devices/phones, email clients or just VM webmail? logging in from various browsers FAILS, logging in to web mail fails

Account Hacked : nope 

I did see a discussion "locked out of email" , that said VM are culling email accounts

[Mod Edit - removed private information]

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is such a serious breach of the Forum rules not to post personal identifiable information I have already alerted the Mods to get it edited. You have disclosed live e-mail addresses and details about how your account is operated on a public forum which can be read by anyone. We are constantly asked how spammers get e-mail addresses and other credentials to spam, hack and defraud. Now you know.

None of the information is relevant to answer the questions posed. You have 30 minutes left to edit or the Mods will do it for you at some point.

Please protect your personal privacy when using public forums.

Edit the Mods got there first and have edited but my points are still relevant.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Darkstorm70
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK my error  This is the first time I posted on this forum

The questions posed to me in my view were asking  how my account is operated and the issues i have

Basically , VM keep locking me out of my account , randomly , I just want to be able to login when I want to not when some security system decides its a good idea

My son needs access to his email account for job hunting  but cant log in again

What I'm after is some procedure , that's not a weblink, which i was offered , that required a logon , which , surprise surprise I cannot do

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Provided you are a VM broadband customer in good standing with VM (ie all your bills are paid up and you owe nothing) there is only one reason why VM would lock-out an e-mail account irrespective of how they are accessed (web mail or an e-mail client like Outlook). There are also two technical issues that might cause a web log-in to fail as well.

Lets deal with the latter two issues first - the technical reasons for failure.  Whoever is logging into web mail using their username and password is doing so from an out of date web link. Follow this guidance to ensure that you always log-in from the right place:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-cant-sign-into-my-email-account

and select this drop down.

Using a saved browser bookmark or favourite to access web mail?

The second technical issue is that your browser has become corrupted by a damaged or erroneously retained cookie from VM or has a bad cache (ie it is storing pages from a failed log-in and will continue to display the failed pages each time). The solution is to clear both your browser's cache and cookies (if you can find them just the ones relating to VM but that is a bit tricky to do so I often just clear the lot).

The first reason is a lot more serious and does not occur randomly. It only occurs when it is clear to VM that the account is being used is sending spam or attempting to be used to send spam. VM can see the use or attempted use but you can't because of the way the world-wide e-mail system is constructed. Usually they will lock the account out until the password is changed. VM will send a text (for obvious reasons they can't send a warning e-mail). Generally they also send letter confirming what they have done. Takes about a week for that to arrive. The root of this problem is that the account password has been disclosed. Probably because it is shared with other log-ins and has been disclosed in a data breach. VM have reported no such breaches of their systems which they are obliged to do by law.

There is a strict protocol to be observed in dealing with this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-account-is-locked

and this as well:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

And each step has to be followed to the letter with nothing missed out. In addition I would advise a scan with malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com (free trial version and from this site only) to see if any password disclosing software has attached itself to your devices.

You now have the knowledge and tools to deal with these issues yourself.

Finally there is always the distant possibility that the connection is failing because of a bad internet connection and that others sharing your account are logging in via some wifi point or other connection that is slow and clunky. But you don't mention anything like that so I suppose I can rule it out.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does VM keep refusing my password and that of kids accounts randomly ( and no my caps loc...

Hi Darkstorm70,

I shall be happy to help with this. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope top right) so that I can gather some information. I'll progress this when I get your reply 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos