Menu
HarryK1947
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why am I still getting e-mails from addresses I have blacklisted?

I've been adding lots of addresses to my blacklist lately, as I'm getting lots of fake e-mails about McAfee, Norton, Bitcoins, etc..  I had 4 e-mails this morning and tried to add the sender's addresses to my blacklist, only to be told in each case that the address was already on my blacklist. Why is this happening? What's the point of adding addresses to the blacklist if mail from them is still getting through?  Am I missing something here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why am I still getting e-mails from addresses I have blacklisted?

Are the emails concerned arriving in you inbox or in you Spam folder?

The Virgin Media Mail blacklist facility is nothing more than a filter to divert blacklisted entries to the Spam folder it doesn't block the emails completely.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looks like there are many similar complaints and that includes me. I tried filtering for apparent email addresses got some, then I tried filtering based on Mailing list, as many seemed to contain common details. But then they soon started getting through again.

However I have now  succeeded in getting all this crap moved to my Spam folder by replacing the many I had set up with a single filter:-

Sent Date     Lower    04/10/2020

I am going to copy this to others in the same boat, hopefully it will work for you too. ..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@DaveW96 wrote:

have now succeeded in getting all this crap moved to my Spam folder by replacing the many I had set up with a single filter:-                           Sent Date     Lower    04/10/2020

Just out of interest can you let us know why you picked that date and is that the only condition you have set in the filter?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
HarryK1947
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I didn't realise that! Thank your for that information. I do get quite a few "repeats" in my Spam folder, and \I now understand why I get those, but I have had items going into my Inbox which I have previously blacklisted. It's possible, though, that the first part of the sender's address is different to the one I've put in the blacklist, which might explain it. I have noticed that some of the stuff I've had about my (non-existent) Norton AV subscription has what looks like a randomly generated string as the first part of the address, before the "@".
0 Kudos
HarryK1947
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, I'll certainly try that.
0 Kudos