cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are my emails !

nottmsteve1
Joining in

My emails suddenly stopped last Thursday. I am using my own domain name via my original @ntlworld address which I've had since dial up days.

I download onto the PC via Windows Live Mail ( I like it!). It still goes through all of the checks and doesn't report any errors. I even sent myself an email to check. That sent fine but still nothing will receive.

I've logged on via webmail, which logs on fine, opens my email, then.... nothing. All my archived emails are there but nothing new is being received. I can log onto webmail via my @ntlworld address, and also by my @owndomain address which is used for the account purposes.

I did see something about changing the password, but I'm a bit reluctant as it says you will get an email link to confirm - not much good if you're not getting emails ! I've joined up here using my gmail so that I could verify.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nottmsteve1  The fact that your domain email address is hosted by 123reg could well be very relevant.

I hope that you have been keeping up with the support emails from 123 reg because they are in the process of migrating their hosted email accounts to a new platform.

If this is the case for your domain then you should have been notified to check any forwarding rules that you have set up. Also, once the email account is migrated to their generation 2 platform you will need to update the email server details for both IMAP and SMTP in any email app that you use to access the email account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nottmsteve1 wrote:
"I am using my own domain name via my original @ntlworld address which I've had since dial up days."

When you say "via" your Ntlworld address, do you mean that your own domain name emails are being forwarded to your Ntlworld address? If no,t what do you mean by "via", how are you doing that?

"I've logged on via webmail, which logs on fine,

So is that the VM / Ntlworld webmail account on the VM website or the webmail service provided by your domain registrar (the company who provided your domain name)?

opens my email, then.... nothing. All my archived emails are there but nothing new is being received."

So is it the new emails addressed to your Ntlworld email address that have gone missing?

Or is it new emails addressed to your own domain email address that have gone missing?

Or is it both?

"I did see something about changing the password, but I'm a bit reluctant as it says you will get an email link to confirm"

The process to change the password on a VM / Ntlworld email account does not involve VM sending an email link so I presume that message refers to changing the password to your own domain email account.

However, if the webmail account opens when you use the current password that means the current password works fine.

If you could not access the webmail account, then a password change / reset  might well be the answer, however, if you can access the webmail account I cannot see that there is anything to be gained by changing the password.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks for replying. I'll try to answer in turn if I may :-

My @domain emails are received via my @ntlworld address, using the same password that I've had since dial up. 

I'm set as Pop3 using pop3. for incoming and smtp. for outgoing, with ports 465 & 995 respectively.

Predominently I use Live Mail to download to PC, but if I need to read via the interent I log on with the VM Webmail on the VM website. I've never used the domain provider at all.

Both/all new emails are missing. I know I'm not that popular, but there's not even the one that I sent to myself !

Nothing has been changed for eons, but I noticed Thursday night I'd not had emails, but I had in the morning.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You say that you have "never used the domain provider at all". That baffles me unless you are doing, as I would expect with someone who has their own domain name, that emails are sent to your domain name and auto-forwarded to ntlworld. If this is the case then check that the forwarding is still being done.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for replying Roger.

I bought the domain name 10+ years ago. I then created an email account within Live Mail using my domain name  ( eg steve@mydomain), and then my ntlworld username and password as my incoming mail server. Never had an issue until now.

Interestingly, I've just logged into 123 reg, which I normally only do every 3 years to pay them, and had to request a password reset. They sent that email to my @ntlworld.com address and I received it on my PC and in the vm webmail. From that I'm assuming the issue is defintely connected to my domain name so I've raised a ticket with them to see if they can thrown any light on it. Other than that, I haven't a clue, but it's just odd that it was fine Thursday am and then not working Thursday pm

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nottmsteve1  The fact that your domain email address is hosted by 123reg could well be very relevant.

I hope that you have been keeping up with the support emails from 123 reg because they are in the process of migrating their hosted email accounts to a new platform.

If this is the case for your domain then you should have been notified to check any forwarding rules that you have set up. Also, once the email account is migrated to their generation 2 platform you will need to update the email server details for both IMAP and SMTP in any email app that you use to access the email account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks for replying Graham. I seem to recall receiving 123 Reg emails but to be honest, the content went over my head.

I raised a ticket with them last night, and they've already replied more or less with what you have. The only issue now is I don't have the "manage email" button that the tutorial mentions, so I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

Looks like I may be only hours/days away from my emails !

Thanks again

Steve

Hi @nottmsteve1 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your emails at this time. 

I can see that the community has helped assisting you with your query. Do keep us up to date with how your ticket is resolved with123reg as this might help anyone else with a similar issue within the community in the future 🙂

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Well, it seems that my emails are now working - maybe !

None of the missng week's emails wre ever received - including the one that I sent myself.

I've now had to set my @domain address within 123 Reg as an email forwarder to my NTL address - for 20 years I've nver had to do this, just create an account in LiveMail with my @domain as the email address and NTL/Virgin as the server.

Accordingly, 123 Reg say that I will no longer be able to send emails from my own domain unless I pay for an email service !

Looks like my choices are to either see if I can transfer to a new host, or convert as much as I can remember back to my @ntlworld address

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I have a Gmail account to which emails are forwarded from my domain account. When sending emails from Gmail I simply use an alias like "roger_gooner@mydomain.com" which makes it look as if emails are coming from my domain name and recipients reply to "roger_gooner@mydomain.com". So, my domain name account only forwards emails it receives to my Gmail account and stores no emails.There is the further benefit of not being tied into an ISP's email account.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection