Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Web client keeps marking random emails for action - why?

Ever since VirginMedia  changed it's relationship with Google/Gmail I have experienced an annoying, and possibly 'expensive' characteristic in the way the email web client works for me:

Every time, on first accessing email, that I tick the selection box for a particular email in my inbox some other email, apparently chosen at random, is also selected. If the action i take is 'delete' then that other selected email is deleted too. The additionally selected email - being chosen at random - might even be so far down in the list of emails in my inbox that it is not visible. So I could be deleting 'valuable' emails without noticing it. This action happens on all the browsers that I have tried: FireFox, Chrome, Brave, Vivaldi, ...

Why does this happen? is it my error? How can I stop it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web client keeps marking random emails for action - why?

While it could be something in your settings, I am inclined to say it is the way the webmail works.  I noticed similar when it was first introduced (and it was fervently discussed in the forum), but it was only after the first selection was read and then closed/exited/actioned.  I simply trained myself to watch the menu bar at the top.  Greyed out means NOTHING is selected, red icons means SOMETHING is selected.  Not intuitive, but what can we do?  Other forum users may have more specific advice.

A solution is to use a client with the features you like.  Try Thunderbird - free and easy to set up.

And if you delete something accidentally, you can always retrieve it from the deleted folder (within 7 days)!

select none.png          select any.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web client keeps marking random emails for action - why?

Thanks for this insight. It's encouraging to know that it might possible not be me! I do use Thunderbird for a number of other email addresses I have with VirginMedia and can no longer remember why this particular one is not being managed by Thunderbird. I'm guessing it's because I wanted some degree of being able to access mail from any device, anywhere, while assuming (probably erroneously) that having a desk-top based email client would not allow that. 

Anyway, based on your method, I think I can now live with this behaviour.

0 Kudos