cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to leave virgin

Rossday77
Joining in

I want to leave virgin but if I do I will loose access to hundreds of website I'm joined to, as I will loose my email address and don't want to set up a Gmail and then visit every site to change my registered email from a virgin one to something else.

Is there an easier way?

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Rossday77 wrote:

I want to leave virgin but if I do I will loose access to hundreds of website I'm joined to, as I will loose my email address and don't want to set up a Gmail and then visit every site to change my registered email from a virgin one to something else.

Is there an easier way?

VM's T&Cs state that your email account(s) will be deleted 90 days after you leave VM. VM does not do this very reliably (and some accounts live on longer than the 90 days) but you should not rely on this fact if you decide to leave VM.

There is no avoiding the need to update contact details. But do it in a systematic way and it is less arduous than it might at first appear. Start with the most important/regularly used accounts (banking, shopping, social media etc.) and work your way through to the less important ones later on. Whenever you get an email in from a particular contact to your VM email address, update that contact to your new email address.

Once you have moved to a new non-ISP email account you are then free to switch broadband providers as you like. It does involve some time/effort to make the move but gives you a lot of future flexibility to switch providers so is worth the effort IMO.

This archived forum topic from a few years ago mentions some free archiving software to capture existing VM emails from your account

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

or you could download a free email client and configure it to cache a local copy of your emails for archive purposes.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rossday77 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving us. You would lose any Virgin, Blueyonder or NTL emails that are connected to your broadband service, within 90 days of the account closing. So we would highly recommend backing up any important emails or change any website access so you do not lose these when the mailbox is deleted. 

How you make these changes and which mail client you use is up to you, but we would not be able to support further with how you make these changes. The community members maybe able to assist further if you have any other questions or concerns regarding who to change to and the best steps to go about this .

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley