Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Vulnerable person cant access email account

My father has been having problems the last few days trying to send and receive emails it says it’s not authenticated on his phone, so he has tried to gain access via the website etc on his laptop. But he is also having problems when he tries to put in his user name and password it is not recognised. He knows his details but has even tried to do the “forgotten password” and it doesn’t recognise his security question either. We have tried it on different devices and through the app as well as the search engine but no luck. He really needs this access. I am thinking that someone has hacked his emails? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vulnerable person cant access email account

is he still a virgin media broadband customer? If not when did he leave?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, he has been for years. The problem has started just in the last few days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@tc12 wrote:

He knows his details but has even tried to do the “forgotten password” and it doesn’t recognise his security question either.

The first thing to try is to go through the "Forgotten your password" option again but this time type the answer in UPPER CASE. For some reason that often seems to work.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just tried that..sorry no luck..it’s not recognising it at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

When I input the email address and the password it does show green ticks at the side and I get the Captcha.. but then says that the username of password is incorrect so won’t proceed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am he, when I eventually find the instruction to reset my password the link given is to removed, instead of rushing in I did a search instead and got a page full of chinese writing, there is something dreadfully amiss with Virgin, even gmail is wanting authentication, I know for definite I have not opened any spurious sites and all mail servers were fine up to a couple of days ago

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The green ticks just indicate that the username and password are in the correct format, not that they match those set for the account concerned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@john113 wrote:

I am he, when I eventually find the instruction to reset my password the link given is to buyao3847751@yeay.net,

I don't understand. Which link are you referring to? I have just used that option to successfully change the password on my ntlworld email account and at no time did it give me a link to any other email address.

Here is the link to the relevant sign in page to access the forgotten password option. https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@john113 wrote:

I am he, when I eventually find the instruction to reset my password the link given is to ########@yeay.ne,  instead of rushing in I did a search instead and got a page full of chinese writing, there is something dreadfully amiss with Virgin, even gmail is wanting authentication, I know for definite I have not opened any spurious sites and all mail servers were fine up to a couple of days ago

Can you explain where you are seeing this link in the password change screen?  What you should see is in the picture below - are you saying the Username is showing as the strange email address in your post?

password change.PNG

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos