Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net

I have had a Virgin.net email since the birth of Virgin Media however whilst I am a Virgin Mobile customer I’m not a Media customer as Virgin not longer cover my area. I need to access my mail account to clear out emails off the server and recover some emails for years ago. I still receive emails on my phone and iPad as my Virgin.net email has always been my mail email address but I cannot access them from the server, can anyone advise how I can do this please? Thanks 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net

you need to have a broadband customer to access the email.
This has always been the case.
Your email should of been deleted 90 days after you left or when the Dialup services was not used if from dialup days.

VM will not be able to help you all they can do is delete the address.

You should start updating your accounts to a new email and inform your contracts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes - you can't access VM web mail. You have no entitlement to use VM mail at all as you are not a broadband customer. The service is not a universal e-mail service. It is reserved for paying broadband customers only. You have been living on borrowed time and your credit has run out. Move to a new e-mail supplier now before VM close you access completely.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A bit harsh, I would of stayed with Virgin however they tupe’d me over to Talk Talk as they no longer provide a service to my area, I have since gone with BT and check every year if Virgin have moved back to my area. I understand the point you are making but I shouldn’t be deleted or not given access as the choice to move away from Virgin was theirs and not mine. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

History is not on your side and nor is the argument either. When VM sold their ADSL service to TT they made it explicit that they would allow people with virgin.net addresses to keep them for 12 months or until they left TT, whichever was sooner. You clearly are well beyond those time limits whatever your circumstances.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@jos310581 wrote:

A bit harsh, I would of stayed with Virgin however they tupe’d me over to Talk Talk as they no longer provide a service to my area, I have since gone with BT and check every year if Virgin have moved back to my area. I understand the point you are making but I shouldn’t be deleted or not given access as the choice to move away from Virgin was theirs and not mine. 

You must have missed the letter which Virgin Media sent out at the time of their sell-out to Talk Talk, the content of which was copied on the forum here: 
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Virgin-Media-National-Switch/td-p/2550863

Note the section on email addresses which states

"After your bills have been switched to TalkTalk, you can still log into your Virgin Media email (addresses ending in @virgin.net, @virginmedia.com, @ntlworld.com and @blueyonder.co.uk) for a whole 12 months through both Client software (such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail or your smartphone email app) and also through your web browser at my.virginmedia.com.

Once twelve months have passed after the switch of your billing to TalkTalk, you will no longer be able to send, receive or forward email from your Virgin Media email address."

As this mass migration started in December 2014 you have long since had your 12 months of email access, plus a further 5 years of service "gratis". More than enough time for you to move to another email service when you transferred to another ISP.

Also bear in mind that the VM Terms and Conditions state that use of the their email service requires an active Virgin Media broadband account.

Before you consider me to be an apologist for VM in this matter, I was quite vocal about the rights and wrongs at the time.
See https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Re-Virgin-Media-National-Switch/td-p/2551129 just for starters

You have no option but to accept the loss of your Virgin Media email account, harsh but true.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.