On our wavelength

Cannot search virgin.net e mails to find particular sender or subject

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cecil9 wrote:

Does the link correctly impy that I enter as below for a virgin.net account- including using virginmrdia.com and not virgin.net

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

Yes, the virginmedia.com servers are for all the VM domains.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cecil9 wrote:

Cannot search virgin.net e mails to find particular sender or subject

You do not say whether you are using an email app to manage your emails or whether you are using the Webmail service that VM provide on their website  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ 

On the VM website it's simple enough to do a search if a bit long winded. The problem is that you can only search in one folder at a time. Once you have opened a folder your can enter your search term in the top left of the screen:

Search in webmail.png

As soon as you enter a search term you are offered the choice of whether to search in subject line, in email text or in the sender field (the figure head icon).Click on which ever you want to search.

search options.png

As I say, the limitation is that you can only search in one folder at a time. 
The screen shots are from the desktop version of the VM website. If you are viewing on a phone or small tablet the mobile version of the website is a bit more of a challenge to navigate but the principle is the same.

If you are accessing your emails via an app such as Outlook of one of the many apps available for mobile phones then each app will provide it's own search facility.  Precisely how that search facility works will be different for every app.

Coenoby 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

cecil9
On our wavelength

Cannot search emails when using the google android  system on most mobile phones-, I have now tried the outlook app for android phones and this works albeit rather slowly

Seems pretty pathetic that virgin system does not work-- it seems problem is virgoin.net as virginmedia.com accounts work fine

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cecil9 wrote:

Seems pretty pathetic that virgin system does not work-- it seems problem is virgoin.net as virginmedia.com accounts work fine

That is strange because there is nothing different about virgin.net email accounts. All VM email accounts run on the same system.

Along with all the other VM email domains (blueyonder.co.uk, ntlworld.com and virginmedia.com) virgin.net email accounts were migrated onto the the old Google based email service that VM used for a while. Then in 2015 when Google pulled the plug on that service VM moved all their email accounts again, this time onto the inhouse email service provided by Ziggo in the Netherlands. (Ziggo like VM is part of the Liberty Global cable tv and broadband empire). 

Coenoby 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

cecil9
On our wavelength

As a user with little computer knowledge I suspect a difference between wirginmedia.com accounts and virgin.net ones in that they seem to use a different server(?) imap vesus imap4. Whether the difference is meant to be or it is merely capacity etc ther could well be a difference. 

You should be using the same server settings for all Virgin Media email domains, see this post from March 2017: 
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

cecil9
On our wavelength

Does the link correctly impy that I enter as below for a virgin.net account- including using virginmrdia.com and not virgin.net

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cecil9 wrote:

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

Yes, the virginmedia.com servers are for all the VM domains.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cecil9 wrote:

As a user with little computer knowledge I suspect a difference between wirginmedia.com accounts and virgin.net ones in that they seem to use a different server(?) imap vesus imap4. Whether the difference is meant to be or it is merely capacity etc ther could well be a difference. 

As @Sololobo and @Graham_A have intimated you should be using the virginmedia.com servers. The main reason for that is that it means your email password will be encrypted as it passes over your network.

In any event, which ever server your use it is the same data being passed over the network, so once your emails are downloaded to your email app the search facility will be scanning the same data no matter which VM email domain you are using.

VM Webmail uses a completely different set of servers  but again the search facility will be the same whether it is looking at virgin.net, ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk or virginmedia.com emails.

Coenoby

cecil9
On our wavelength

Your advice , and that f your colleagues, is a world ahead of that given by the Virginmedia official technical assistance