Virgin.net email not working

Alan34
Joining in

I cannot get into my Virgin.net emails 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you still a VM customer? Access stops 90 days after leaving VM. 

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Alan34, thanks for reaching out and welcome to our community.

As Cardiffman281 has already asked.  Are you still a Virgin Media broadband customer?  It sounds like you may not be. If you are still a broadband customer with us, then it's likely that the email address in question would be linked to an account which is no longer active.  We'd be happy to take a look into this for you.  Please do get back to us.

Regards

Lee_R

My only connections with Virgin Media is a basic mobile phone contract. I set up my Virgin.net account something like 20 years ago and it has been my main email source ever since with the transfer to talktalk bypassing me until it stopped about three weeks ago. Unfortunately it is still receiving emails without passing them on which is problematic. I have also used the address as a backup library for documents and would like the chance of transferring them. Then the account needs to be closed. The problem I have had is both Virgin and Talktalk say it’s the other’s responsibility 

Alan Lyons 

In this case TalkTalk are right, they have never, ever had anything to do with the virgin.net email addresses - it’s a sort of urban myth which permeates VM’s call centre staff like a bit of ancient wisdom and despite many, many claims that ‘it will be fed back’ and ‘call flows(?) will be updated accordingly, nothing ever actually happens and the same old excuse gets trotted out again and again. Still i suppose it does get the annoying customer off the line and they can chalk up another ‘successfully closed call’!

Now your problem is that you should have lost the virgin.net email address years ago, users who had the old dial-up or later ADSL services were given a year to either take out a VM broadband contract or find another email provider, after the year it was supposed to have been deleted. Now in some cases this wasn’t done on time and these addresses just lingered on. But as you are not a current broadband customer, there is no account to associate the email address with - hence it is regarded as orphaned and liable to deletion at any time with no further notice.

Probably this is what has happened to yours, now depending on how far the process has gone, it might, and I do stress might, be possible for the forum team to arrange for some sort of temporary access as a one-time only offer. However, you need to be prepared for the very real possibility that the mailbox and all the mail within has been irretrievably lost.

Read this post for background and more information: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

You may be able to access your emails through an email client such as Thunderbird, but this may or may not work. If it does it won't be for long.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thanks for coming back to us @Alan34, it is our responsibility to look after these email accounts but as you aren't an active broadband customer with us, we may not be able to restore access to your mailbox. I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,
Steven_L

The Talktalk issue, not withstanding, the Virgin team has allowed me to get in to recover emails. Before the problems, I received an email maybe from Virgin, maybe a spam, in late May saying the address had been compromised. It wanted me to go to a  link so I immediately thought spam. It was after that I got messages saying the password was not recognised and I could not get into the account either through my iPad or Virgin media.  The thing is the address still exists and messages can be sent to it - which for now I can pick up. The next mystery is how to delete the address 

Hi Alan, thank you for coming back to us with this additional information. 

I am glad to hear my colleague has been able to help you regain access to the account temporarily. 

I would like to set the expectation that this is not often something which is possible, and I would strongly advise you clear out any information you require from the email ASAP and transfer any associations with it to an alternative address. 

As you do not have any active services with us it is highly likely the address will become Orphaned and will be lost imminently. 

If you would like us to request the email is deleted I would replying to my colleague Steven who you have been PMing with, and they will be able to offer further support. 
Let us know if you have any other concerns, or if we can offer further help.

All the best! 

Molly

Molly 

thank you.I have transferred everything and the email address should be deleted. Will you contact Steven or should I. If you, thank him for his efforts 

Alan Lyons