cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net email issues since 18 Jun; Outlook profile

Greg66
Joining in

I have a virgin.net email account. Up to 18 June I was able to send and receive emails on it on two Windows PCs (running Outlook) an iphone and an ipad.

On 18 June, the account stopped working on one PC, but continued fine on the other devices.

On the failed device, I got an 0x800CCC0E error message - Outlook couldn't log onto the IMAP server.

Since then, I have done lots of things, but most relevant:

- set up a second profile in the offending Outlook and set up the virgin mail account in that profile. Works perfectly.

- deleted that second profile, deleted the virgin email account from the main and only profile and tried to set it up afresh. Nope: can't log onto the IMAP server and so can't set it up again within the main profile.

- set up an app specific password via virginmedia.com. Makes no difference.

- tried using in Outlook the IMAP server addresses that are on my iphone rather than the ones Outlook chooses. Nope.

So somehow, on 18 Jun, virgin.net's IMAP server stopped playing nicely with the profile on one of my two PCs that are running Outlook.

Any ideas how I can repair the profile?

TIA

3 REPLIES 3

Greg66
Joining in

To add insult to injury, setting up the app-specific password has booted me out of Outlook on my ipad (but NOT) the native mail app on my ipad or my iphone, which quite happily accepted the app-specific password.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the Windows PC try the following troubleshooting: open a Command Shell in Window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and App password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:trapped-onto-quote-amiss:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise unsuccessful will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Greg66
Joining in

Solution found, at least for Outlook on a PC.

TL;DR: you have to add your virgin.net email account with Outlook shut down.

How to:

1. Within Outlook: File/Account Settings/Manage Profiles

2. With the "Mail Setup" (Email Accounts, Data Files, Profiles) box open, close Outlook.

3. Then click the Email Accounts... button.

4. On the Account Settings box, click New...

5. Then use the Add Account box to set up your virgin.net email account afresh. I did it manually, which requires you to remember servers, ports, encryption types, and to set up the SMTP server as well as the IMAP server. But it works.