cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net email hacked.

Cas581
Tuning in

A hacker has access to my virgin.net account. He emailed me demanding money saying he had installed a trojan ages ago and that AV would not pick it up. I have changed passwords and installed Norton AV (the most expensive one!) . No virus was found. Password was reset and no autoforward found but he still seems to have access. I don't know how he is sticking to my account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Beth

unfortunately deleting the account is not an option I would consider. It has been my main account for over 20 years. I will keep looking for alternatives. I would have thought a keylogger would have been detected by AV software.

regards

Richard

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Cas581,

Thank you for your post, welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry to hear that your email address has become hacked. We know how concerning this must be for you.

I'm afraid that we can't explain exactly how the hacker is able to keep gaining access to your account after your password has been reset. It's possible that they have installed a keylogger on your device, which records and stores your keystrokes. 

We know this may not be what you want to hear, but I would personally recommend deleting the email address completely. This is something we can arrange for you if you decide to do so. Just let us know.

We have a dedicated page here which more information about what to do in these situations. Please do take a look and follow the steps there if you haven't already.

Beth

Hi Beth

unfortunately deleting the account is not an option I would consider. It has been my main account for over 20 years. I will keep looking for alternatives. I would have thought a keylogger would have been detected by AV software.

regards

Richard

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cas581 Is your virgin.net email address linked to your current VM broadband account?  If not then deletion is likely to be the only option available to the VM team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Richard,

I completely understand.

Sadly, no anti-virus/anti-malware scanner can detect 100% of malware. It's best to ensure that your operating system is up to date, and that you have the latest version of the anti-virus software to increase protection.

Have you scanned all of your devices connected to your home network? Did you also reset your security question and answers on top of your email password?

We'd also recommend reporting this to ActionFraud if you haven't already.

Beth

goslow
Alessandro Volta

To clarify, what makes you think the scammer (still?) has access to your VM email account?

Have they been able to access your other services (such as shopping accounts, social media etc.) or set up new accounts using your VM email? These kinds of issues have been mentioned a lot on here recently.

The description you gave in the first post is a very common narrative from a scammers' email template. It usually mentions installing spyware on the recipients computer and threatens to blackmail the recipient unless they pay a bitcoin ransom. I have received that template scam email myself in the past.

For some people (including myself), there is no email hack and it is a hoax with a view to extorting money (if the email/password combo the scammer quoted is long out of date and no longer in use). For some, unfortunately, it does turn out to be a scamming attempt, and theft of identity, as the scammers start to take over other sites and services.

A further confusion is that scammers have also sometimes used the details of the recipient to send out further spam emails which appear as if they are coming from the recipient's VM email address. These are often sent to contacts the recipient knows. Often the recipient's account is not actually hacked, as a close inspection of the actual spam email sending addresses shows they are spam addresses. This does, however, understandably create the impression that the account has been hacked.

The email text you described in your first post usually contains one of your known email addresses and passwords. If that was the case, and if you have used that same email/password combo across other websites and services you should change all of those other passwords on each site so that each site has a unique and complex/secure password otherwise the scammers may be able to gain access to other accounts belonging to you.

Hi goslow

The scam was real, not a hoax. My Facebook account was hacked repeatedly and my etoro account too. I managed to prevent an attempted withdrawal of all my funds. After the password change and antivirus scan emails were still being interfered with. I have a feeling that although he seems to be able to access my emails at will he doesn’t necessarily have access to my Virgin Media account as a whole but I’m not sure if that is the case or how that could happen. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sorry to hear that. I have no explanation as to how the scammers are gaining access but there have certainly been a lot of topics about the subject on the forums in recent months. VM must know how access is being achieved on such a huge scale but I have yet to see any specific advice to customers on combating the issue.

I think you will need involvement from VM to regain full control of your account.

Hi Cas581, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the emails. 

I will send you a PM so that this can be looked into further, 

Kind regards, Chris. 

JonathanDevon
Joining in

Hi, We had theis five weeks ago and Virgin Media "Tech" department we supposed to call us after three calls to Mumbai & Shrilanks... to teset the passwords from their end ... but surprise surprise, ZERO respones and NO help from VM at all.  I am SO unimpressed with VM regarding these issues even though you prove you own the account. All it needs is a password reset from their end as we/you have been locked out by the hacker. i believe effectively there are two passwords as we can get IN but can't, like you and many others , change the password etc etc.   Can't even delete the account either! Zzzzzz.  After all the much appreciated assistance on this forum , we are still stuffed!