Menu
alBull1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net email hacked

Hi

I have an old and dormant virgin.net email account that appears to be hacked.  I want to delete it completely but can't see how.  I am an existing VM customer.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin.net email hacked

Welcome to the community.  While waiting for a member of the Forum Team (VM employees) to check your account, here is what I suggest.

Try to regain control of the address, so that you can assess any damage done to your data and contacts.  And this is a good time to assess the security of your whole network.  Here is the VM help page: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Check if the address is linked to your broadband billing account - sign in and it would show on the My Profile page (scroll down to my services), or the Manage Accounts tab.  See the photos below.  If it is the primary address, neither you nor VM can delete it, so keep it secure with a good password.  If it is a secondary address, that should be possible from the manage accounts tab.  First backup anything you want, then delete all the data from the address, then delete it.

If those options are not available, then wait for the Forum Team who can request a manual deletion.  They will take your details by private message to pass security.

You can test it is completely gone from the VM servers by running the address through the resource at https://mailtester.com.  Best wishes.

my services.pngnew account.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

alBull1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks MsPasko for a really helpful and comprehensive answer.

Sadly though, the email isn't linked to my broadband account in any way, primary or secondary.  It's just an old account to which the old password doesn't work any more.

I am unable to login to access account online via mail2web.com, as I used to be advised to by Virgin, many years ago.

Here's hoping a VM forum team member can help me out.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for checking - they will certainly be able to help delete this orphan address and should reach this thread in a day or so.  Can you just let them know if it is showing as valid in mailtester?  Not the address, just the result.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello alBull1

I am able to get the email deleted for you no problem at all 

It can take 7-10 days 

I just need to send you a private message to get account details 

Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello alBull1

Thanks for passing security 

I have asked for the email to be deleted

This can take around 7 days 

If you go to mailtester.com enter email, once it goes red the email will have been deleted

Gareth_L

alBull1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help Gareth
AB.
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello alBull1

I have just had a response from our IT Team

The email has now been deleted 

Gareth_L

alBull1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth

I have just tested the email address on mailtester.com and it says the address is still active.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That is strange alBull1

Let me look into this again for you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos