Menu
JoChatwin
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net email address problems

good morning.  I have a virgin.net email address which I've had for about 15 years.  My outgoing emails stopped working last week and so I've been trying to speak to someone that can help (local IT tech savvy friend says its Virgin not my equipment that is at fault). Spoke to virgin who says they've sold the email accounts to talktalk - is this right??  I dont recall any communication about this - I dont have an account with talk talk - am very confused and frustrated as I can't sent emails out of this account at the moment - but am still receiving .... also worried in case my account might get deleted and have EVERYTHING for work etc on there.  Any advice about where to start with this mess very welcome! 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net email address problems

@JoChatwin wrote:

good morning.  I have a virgin.net email address which I've had for about 15 years.

1) Spoke to virgin who says they've sold the email accounts to talktalk - is this right??  I dont recall any communication about this

2) I can't sent emails out of this account at the moment - but am still receiving ....

3) also worried in case my account might get deleted and have EVERYTHING for work etc on there.  

Any advice about where to start with this mess very welcome! 

To keep it simple I'll try to answer you points 1) 2) and 3) 😉

1) Virgin Media customer services continue to say virgin.net emails are now handled by  TalkTalk and it is complete nonsense. The facts are that virgin.net addresses date back to the old ADSL service which Virgin sold off to TalkTalk. However, the virgin.net email addresses themselves remain the sole responsibility of Virgin Media.

3) If you do not have a broadband contract with Virgin Media you have good reason to be worried. If virgin.net users did not, or could not, migrate to VM's fibre broadband service  then their Virgin.net addresses should have been deleted 120 days after the ADSL service moved to TalkTalk. I believe that was 2015.

However, if you actually got to speak to a VM representative that suggests that you do a broadband contract with them. The question then is whether your virgin.net address ever got linked to your new VM broadband account. If it did not then the address is still in grave danger of being deleted.

2) When you say you cannot send emails is that using an email app on one of your devices? What about via the VM webmail service? Try sign on from here https://my.virginmedia.com 

Assuming that you are using VM broadband, being able to receive but not send VM emails over VM wifi using an app is a symptom of a device on your network having been infected with a spambot.

You can check that by going here https://whatismyipaddress.com/ and copying your ip address. It will be a series of numbers separated by dots in the format   nn.nn.nnn.nn

Take that ip address and enter it here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and see if there is an entry for it on the SBL Don't worry if it says it is listed in the PBL, that's normal. If the ip address is listed on the SBL, then VM will not allow you to send emails from your email apps on your phone or other devices over your VM broadband.

I think I have given you enough to think about. So let's wait to hear back from you on all this.

Key questions to be answered

.......................Are you a VM broadband customer?

.......................Can you access your virgin.net email account and send emails using VM's webmail service?

.......................And finally is your ip address listed on the spamhaus SBL?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos