Menu
dougiea
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net email account closed?

My 81 year old mother in law has been unable to access her virgin.net email account since Friday 28th February. I suspect this has been identified as an orphan account as it dates back to dial-up internet access.

She has Virginmedia broadband, phone and TV packages. I can set up new a @virginmedia.com email address for her - but how can she get a one off final access to the virgin.net email account to copy\backup old mails, contacts etc....?

She spent 3 hours on the phone this morning being bounced between Virgin and Talktalk contact centres and has asked me for some guidance.

Thanks

Dougie

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net email account closed?

Your MIL has a chance.  The Forum Team can possibly help with a Move & Transfer.  This should have been offered when she joined Virgin Media broadband.  Get her to join this thread and answer these questions:

Is the address still showing valid in mailtester.com? - just the result, don't post the address here in the public forum.

Is she using the email address that is linked to her billing account?  If so, is she willing to lose that address?  She can only keep one of the addresses (or one set/profile if secondary addresses are linked to a primary address)

Another temporary option is ---- she can use an email client (such as Thunderbird) to gain access to the mailbox before it is deleted permanently.  but this is just temporary.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dougiea
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. I'll visit her this evening and look at the Thunderbird option. Mail address is still valid according to mailtester.com

dougiea
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've set my MIL up with an @virginmedia.com email address. I've also registered her on this forum.

If I give you her forum ID can you give her some guidance about how to import old address details and mail from the @virgin.net email?

Thanks

Dougie

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dougie, sure please do 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
dougiea
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Forum ID: is irenebrydon

Thanks

Dougie

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dougie,

Has she messaged us on it?

I cannot find anything. If not, get us to drop us a line and we'll pick it up 🙂

Kind regards,

John

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
irenebrydon
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can send me instructions about how to recover info from my old virgin.net account.

Thanks

Irene

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Irene, thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

We can do a Move and Transfer from the old account to the new one however this will remove any new email accounts set up on your account when we transfer the old account to the new one. Is this something you'd be interested in doing?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
irenebrydon
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yes - that's fine. Will I lose the new @virginmedia.com email address my son-in-law set-up for me this week (to get me on-line after losing access to my old @virgin.net account?

0 Kudos