Menu
Jewboy1981
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net Emails disabled

Help! I have been using my email account since 2006 and Virgin have decided to disable the account without notice.

I had this issue in 2015 but spoke with a few different people and they reinstated this for me.

I have important documents, contacts and information contained within this account so I need to access it.

I have been given the run around by people at the call centre so can some please reinstate this email address. I was told by Deepak at 12:15pm yesterday this was a Talk Talk issue but after reading lots of info it certainly is not. Virgin manage the server and have the ability to switch this back on...Case No: P010360729.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net Emails disabled

Hello

Are you still a Virginmedia customer ?

If you are not then I am afraid that the email address has gone, as under the T&C you have to be a customer to hold an Virginmedia email address. Have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 all the Virginmedia staff can do is too make sure it is deleted.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jewboy1981
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

I am not a Virgin customer and have not had a service since 2007. Like I said, I had this exact same issue in 2015 and at the time I made a few calls and a manager was able to switch this back on. At the time I asked... would this be temporary and was told no we can keep this account. Had I have been informed at the time I would of redirect all emails and contacts to an alternative account.

If the long term strategy is to disable the account no problem but provide people with a notice period, say 28, so they can migrate.

This will do nothing for ensuring old customers considering Virgin in the future.

Someone at Virgin has the ability to reinstate this account. I’m happy for this to be done temporarily whilst I can migrate my data away.

Thanks again and I look forward to a positive resolution.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I might have been in 2015 but as already stated it is no longer possible.

Have a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services section D6 is quite clear "6. Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person.  If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you.  Please see our acceptable use policy for more detail on email address usage and our Help and Support page (by clicking here) on what happens to your email when you leave us."

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

VM may of done this in the past but they will not reactivate them anymore. This was a business decision that was made a few years ago.

VM can't reactivate the email address anymore.

The email address should have been deleted 90 days after you left in 2007 so you have had 13 years of free service you shouldn't have had.

All you can do not is get a new email address and move all your accounts over. I'd recommend one that is not linked to any ISP.
Jewboy1981
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your response and knowledge.

I first took services around 2006 so I would imagine I would of read the T&C’s back then. Unfortunately that was a long time ago now. I would imagine that these have been updated numerous times since then.

Despite this section clearly stating..if the agreement ends so does your right to use the email address ends and you will not be able to use the email address...Virgin have proved in the past that it is possible to reinstate the account. You can check my account the notes are on on it which states the actions Virgin took at the time.

I believe this is a question of won’t rather than can’t and I understand that you may set a precedent.  All I require is limited time access to the account and ideally prior to the Self assessment deadline of 31.12.21.

Mike, Are you a Virgin Media employee? If so, I would like to give you the opportunity to go that one step further and make this happen.

Again thanks for your support up to this point.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that it is they cannot the systems will not allow it.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Jewboy1981
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Apcyberax,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I understand the business position but as you hold all of these email addresses within your database do you not think a reminder email to all of the users that would be affected would of been of been the right thing to do? Whether it be 7,14 or 28 days notice? Simply from the interest of customer service...?

How many people do you think retain all the info on the T&C’s?

It would appear that the decision was these users do not have a service with us just delete them. You have only succeeded in totally frustrating us and not wanting to consider you as a provider in the future.

One simple email and a reminder of the services you offer may of resulted in a few returning customers? What are your thoughts?

Like Mike, I would like to provide you with an opportunity to go that one step further and reinstate...Restore my faith in your brand and provide better customer service.

I do believe this is a question of won’t rather than can’t.

Thanks for your assistance up to now

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

the problem that was identified is that without a contract you have no T&C or agreement so you ca't be help accountable for any illegal use of the services.
It also may well break GDPR if they are holding data without a contract as they have no business reason to help the data.

It then also it costs money to support, host, and manage your email address. That has to be paid for by someone. Currently not you so the costs are absorbed by all currstn customers
0 Kudos
Jewboy1981
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi apcyberax,

Your response does make commercial sense.

However, why would you not notify and communicate to these users prior to closing down?

I am more than happy to pick up the costs. If only I knew.....Let’s explore that route if that’s the issue.

0 Kudos