Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net Email Address stopped working

I have got a virgin.net email address which I have been using for at least 18 years. Last Wednesday it suddenly stopped working.  I have contacted Virgin Media various times who have told me it was sold late last year to talk talk and to contact them.

I have over the last 2 days been on and off online chat and the phone to talk talk who one person says they support it but I need to sign up to mail plus costing £5 per month and then they can help, I have tried doing that but cannot register as do not have a talk talk account.  I have just rang them again to be told they did buy virgin.net emails but have now been told that they have been discontinued and to contact Virgin again?

I really don't know what to do as being passed from Virgin to talk talk and not getting anywhere.   I really need to check my emails even to try and transfer to another email but concerned there are important ones there.

Im hoping someone can please help me!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net Email Address stopped working

Sorry, but you are being led on a wild goose chase by both the VM operators and the Talk Talk people.

A few years ago VM sold its adsl (broadband over the telephone line) service to Talk Talk. Customers were able to continue to use their vigin.net email addresses for a period of 12 months. The email servers continued to be maintained by VM and Talk Talk had no access to them.  After 12 months the email addresses were supposed to be closed down, unless the account holder took out a VM broadband account and had the address moved to the new account.

Enough of the background. 

Do you have a current VM broadband account and is the virgin.net email address concerned attached to it?  The easiest way to check is to sign into your My Virgin Media account with your primary details and look under the My Profile and Manage Accounts tabs.  https://my.virginmedia.com/

Post back to let us know the answer to this and then we can move to the next steps in the advice chain.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Thank you so much for your speedy reply.  Yes I do have a VM broadband account. Just logged on and under manage accounts nothing is listed but there is a button to set up new accounts

Many Thanks

Kelly

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just also checked under profile.  My virgin.net email address is listed as my contact email but not under Manage account tab.

I do also have a ntlworld.com email which I have never used but that is my VM username.

Hope that helps.

Many Thanks

Kelly

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so your virgin.net address is in what is known as an orphaned state, ie. not attached to a live VM broadband account.

There is a slim chance that the Forum Team staff may be able to get the virgin.net address moved to your current account, replacing the Ntlworld one. It is called move & transfer.

You need to wait for them to contact you via this forum.  It may take a day or so.  Don't try requesting this via the phone support as that is likely to be a futile exercise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your reply.  I will await a response from VM and keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you.

Kelly

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B another one sent to talktalk

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not just me then @Kev B

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Woodies14,

Thanks for your post and I am sorry to hear of the email issues you're facing and for the poor experience you've had in attempt to resolve this. 

I will send you over a PM now so I can take a look into the account for you. Please find a message from me over at the purple envelope.

Thanks for your all your help @Graham_A

Beth

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Graham,

That was a very helpful response as I have also the same problem having a virgin.net account for the last 20 years.

I do have a VM account with broadband, TV and telephone for about 17/18 years which is ntlworld.com. Do I need to apply for a switch over.

Thank you

Birgit

0 Kudos