Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin email not sending.

Hi anyone that can help.

For a few days now I've been unable to send emails  using Outlook App on my PC or my Android phones email, however when i look into my https://mail2.virginmedia.com account online I can send and receive emails fine. Incoming email is also fine.

Settings are as follows PC

anorth3_0-1604492653702.png

On my mobile the settings are

Email address:  [REMOVED]

Username: [REMOVED]

Password: same as the https://mail2.virginmedia.com

Incoming Server: imap.virginmedia.com

Security type: SSL

Port: 993

Imap path prefix : (blank)

Outgoing server: smtp.virginmedia.com

Security type: SSL

Port: 465

Requires authentication to send emails: (slider selected)

Password: same as the https://mail2.virginmedia.com

I've have looked various forums but cant find the answer.  I've also deleted trash to ensure its not full and still no solution.

Can anyone help please?

Post Edit - Private Information

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin email not sending.

First of all. Never post personal information on a public forum. Protect and don't compromise your privacy.

Second, you can't have looked very hard. This board is riddled with this issue. Day after day after day. You see what what I mean when you read what I have to say.

Third. You've done some good initial detective work. But now it is time for more. Follow these instructions carefully to help us confirm the superficial diagnosis of a spambot infection. If VM are told by an outside independent spam detection authority that they have seen spam coming from your IP address (the way that your Hub identifies itself to the on-line world) VM will refuse to send your mail. Web mail isn't affected.  The spam sending is invisible to you. Your e-mail program is NOT implicated.

This step works if you are running Windows 10.  If you are then open a command prompt:

https://www.howtogeek.com/235101/10-ways-to-open-the-command-prompt-in-windows-10/#:~:text=Open%20Co....

At the command prompt type in this string:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"​

username is your full email address and password is your password. I have tested this string and is does work, or at least it should. Don't agonise if it doesn't and move to the next step.  So if it works as designed you should see a VM3xx code. Tell us what it is.  Just that. Anything else will compromise your privacy.

Next step. This will always work.

Open this page:

https://www.whatismyip.com/ip-whois-lookup/

You will see your IP address. That is the code which identifies your Hub to the internet.  Copy it exactly. The paste it in the top box on this page

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Tell us the result. Reply like this. SBL CSS - yes. Anything else - no. That's all. Nothing else matters.

We'll guide your next steps depending on the results you get. Good luck.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the response, here are the details.

The VM number is VM305

SBL - No

CSS - Yes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi anorth3,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to see you've had some issues with your email.

CSS listing usually expired after 3 days, can you confirm if you're still having the same problem?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is true that CSS listings come and go. This is because spambots go quiet and so Spamhaus will remove the listing if they detect no malicious activity from the IP address in approx 24 hour periods. It doesn't mean that the issue has gone away. The malware is still there and needs tracking down and dealing with. We've provided advice on how to do this. And if you don't get rid of it the whole miserable cycle will restart. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi  

The issue continues unfortunately, im still unable to send emails.  However i found this only applies to when im on the home wifi network.  When im on the mobile network this isn't an issue and the emails send.

I've run antivirius checks on all computers and mobiles.  I found on partners phone that she had a USB virus/bug which i removed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

How do i deal with issue, i haven't seen a post on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi anorth3,

Even though the CSS listings expire, you need to be aware that a device on your network is most likely compromised. You'll need to check the malware of all of your connected devices including any loT/smart home devices you have.

It's most likely malware on one of the devices sending spam, this is why there is the CSS listing on your IP address.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos