cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin e-mail through Outlook

johnmayne1
Tuning in

My wife used to check her Virgin media e-mails through an Outlook app on her mobile but now she is unable to send and receive through Outlook as she used to do, we have checked the app which is fine. We have been to a Virgin store to ask them for advice but were just told to call 150. Any clues?

1 REPLY 1

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnmayne1 wrote:

My wife used to check her Virgin media e-mails through an Outlook app ........ we have checked the app which is fine. .

By "checked the app" do you mean the VM webmail service or that you've checked the Outlook app? You can check the VM email account on the webmail service by entering the email address here  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and then entering the password when prompted.

If you can access the email account on the VM website then it could be that Outlook is failing because it needs the new VM mail app password.

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that sign into the My Virgin Media account for that email address from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of your wife's VM email account.

Cick on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:  video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the Outlook app.

Try that and see how it goes. It has worked for a lot of people.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks