Menu
walthamyank
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media email password suspended

Two days ago, on August 18th 2021, I noticed that I had not received any emails all day. I logged into Virgin Webmail without a problem, but when I tried to look at my emails I was told my password was incorrect. It had not changed for a couple of years. I phoned Virgin Media and spoke to a technician, who told me that I need to change my pasword every 90 days, otherwise it gets suspended. This was news to me - I've been with VM for about 10 years and it never happened before. I've only changed my password a few times in that period. He helped me by setting a temporary password, after which I could change it in Virgin (and on two clients I use).

Does anyone know anything about this? Was he right? I found it hard to believe they would do this without notification.

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media email password suspended

You were told a fib to get you off the line. Bear in mind that many call centre operatives seem to be measured in terms of – calls closed down – as opposed to the better measure of – problems solved. This is particularly true of outsourced call handling operations in overseas locations.

Whilst, in principle, it may be a sensible security precaution to change passwords at regular intervals, one would need to use a password manager to properly manage anything more than a trivial number of passwords – avoiding use of obvious or easily-remembered passwords.

VM’s main advice on password management is to be found here -

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-create-a-strong-password

and says -

It’s up to you how often you change your passwords, but it's generally a good idea to change them every few months.”

Like many others your password may have been changed by VM as the result of a security trigger. See the recent spate of – email locked – mailbox unavailable – etc reports.

Wait here for the Forum team to pick up your post and investigate if necessary.

walthamyank
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, that's what I thought. I haven't seen these other reports you mention, on email locked and mailbox unavailable. I will have a look.

regards,

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, walthamyank, 

Has the password reset helped with your mailbox? Let us know if you need further help.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
walthamyank
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the password reset helped. My problem is with the explanation. The technical assistant told me that this will happen every 90 days. Since it happened without warning or explanation, I don't find this acceptable and hope it is not correct.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us @walthamyank

This information is incorrect, however it may be advised to make a change every 90 days to help avoid the prospect of your account being hacked.

We apologise for the mis-information offered and hope you continue to enjoy our services.

Feel free to come back to us if you have any further service issues or concerns

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos