Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Auto Forward - SPAM

Hello all,

Looking for help. Basically i have not been receiving emails and today was contacted to be told that my account may have been compromised. Turns out some covid19 charity spam is being sent from my address.

Logging on and running virus scans etc, all looked ok. I then looked into my setting and that AUTO FORWARDING has been set up. The wierd thing is that it only appears to be showing on the Virgin Website and my Windows Live has no rules set.

I deleted the forward and removed, saved everything and sent some tests, everything worked. Then about around 30 minutes later I asked for a test email again and it failed. I looked into he settings again and the spam account has reappeared. All of this appears to be on the VM side.

Can anyone help? (all email accounts removed from phones and tablets and it still persists)

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Auto Forward - SPAM

The presence of the unknown auto forward rule means someone else has access to your account password.

Follow all the advice here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Use a new password that you haven't used anywhere else and make sure change the answers to your security questions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

All security questions and passwords were changed twice actually. Yet the problem persists. I delete the rule and email etc, about 30 minutes later it comes back. I only have access to VM due passwords changing. I have cleared all history and cache too on chrome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Seems odd if you have carried out all the checks to ensure there is no malware or key logger software on the equipment you use to change the password and security details.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What programmes would you suggest I had used the F Secure

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

https://www.malwarebytes.com/ seems to get good write ups.  

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Everything checked out. However after being able to speak to someone from Virgin they have said they are having problems with ntlworld emails and are working to fix. They have disabled for now and I await a reply.

Thanks again

0 Kudos